X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1961 Fordabaker Lark!

Bill Pugnetti is "working on a hotrod. 1961 Lark being transformed into Fordabaker Lark custom hotrod. Here are pictures of chassis as it is today. Lotz of reinforcement to keep from flexing. Frame and suspension are powder coated. 28gal stainless steel gas tank. Brake and gas lines. Air suspension. 466 cubes. Roller cam. Edelbrock aluminum heads, intake, water pump. 800 cfm carb. Two filters in front one for ATF, one for motor oil. Headers and 3" ceramic coated exhaust pipes. C6 trans has lotza performance parts to take a beating, even Kevlar bands. Behind C6 is Gear Vendors overdrive. 3.5 rear gears with Detroit Locker. 35 spline axles. Never went this deep into redoing a car and never will again. Buddy and I are working on it at his home shop. From firewall foreword body is 62 Lark while rest is 61 Lark. Those who know Larks will notice. Considering 96-98 Mustang tail lights with sequentials.
    Here are more pictures. Had intake bead blasted and clear coated. Gives it a luster and grime/oil wipes off.

Soooo,,, chassis is mostly done. Target is to finish for summer 2013."

I will post the pix he sent, but might have to do it in two posts. I think you are going to really enjoy the beautiful work that is being done with this car! Got them all but one here.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • FINSRIN
    Experienced
    • Aug 7 2010

Fordabaker

Ray – Nice of you to post Fordabaker project pictures. Has grown to be more complex and involved than need be. Got well weathered bottom of line 1961 Lark 2dr sedan for free. It needed lotz of help in drive train and body. And is far from “free” now.

Being mostly a Ford guy and coming across a fresh zero mile 460(466) for half of what was paid for rebuild because owner lost job and was moving. We went with 460 where a 351-392 Windsor would be easier fit. Without a firm master plan, the Fordabaker project has (shall we say) evolved to what it is today.

Want to have FoMoCo touches on body and interior to go with 460-C6, giving the Lark a Fordabaker identity most any way you look at it. Considering 1996-98 Mustang tail lights because their corner curve approximates Lark fender curve. Early 60s Comet tail lights-trim might work too. 60 Tbird lights are another possibility. Many decisions still to be made. Have fitted Mustang wiper motor and Econoline interval wiper control.

You Ford-Thunderbird folks are welcome to post Fordabaker ideas and comments.
    Thanks
    Bill

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I love this totally boxed #2 crossmember.

I've seen poorly engineered examples that bent or collapsed, because this portion of the structure takes the brunt of the load and the road. Nice job!

I have a ton of questions regarding your cam, compression ratio choice, etc. I realize this engine has zero miles, but those heads, intake, etc., are not OEM.
      Did you degree your cam?
      What duration and lift did you use?
      What RE gears?
      Let's see more pictures! How about the body?
      So far, everything I see is top drawer. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• FINSRIN
        Experienced
        • Aug 7 2010

Fordabaker

Thanks Dave. Took a bunch of work to get this far.
        To answer Dave's questions.
        Compression: 9.2 - 9.3
        Cam duration: intake @.050 = 216, advertised = 278
        Cam duration: exhaust @.050 = 224, advertised = 286
        Cam lift with 1.71 rocker: intake = 556, exhaust = 580
        Comp Cams Magnum roller rocker arms.
        Cam degreed with wheel from Summit Racing
        Valve spring requirements for cam near identical with those on Edelbrock heads. Did not have to deal with spring changes.
        Gears are Ford 9 inch 3.5 (might be 3.55) with Detroit locker inside heavy duty Lincoln housing. Lincoln rear disc brakes.

Must admit 61 Lark looks fooled me. To look at it, I thought it was larger. Maybe its the 15 inch wheels. But has shorter wheel base and overall length than a 61 Falcon. So packing in a 460/C6 and the rest has proved to be challenging. Will find body pictures for another posting.
        Anyone know of an early Falcon with a 429/460? If so, please send me pictures.

Bill

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I'm doing a major on a 390 from a '73 F-100.
          It's going to Bill Knighton's 'Penelope' (1960 Thunderbird) in NW Australia where it's really hot. I kept CR at 9.2 and used Edelbrock heads/intake and found the Comp Roller (270 dur/.5" lift) needed springs that exactly matched the Performer RPM's as well. I'm advancing the cam a little to bring the torque curve down to earth.

I just got done with the distributor... total adv = 35* peaking at 2,500-rpm. I can't tweak because the engine has no load until it gets to Australia, so this is a jump point. Right now, I'm balancing rods and crank. Now that the weather is finally nice, the family and house are calling for my time. It's coming along well.

My good buddy rebuilt the C-6 and stuck 1st and 2nd gears in from an E4OD. Now, 1st is 10% lower and 2nd is 5% lower than stock. 3rd is still 1:1. I could have done the overdrive but that would mean a longer tail shaft. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• FINSRIN
            Experienced
            • Aug 7 2010

Sounds like a fine well thought out 390 build. Bill and Penelope will both be pleased.

Once had 1974 460 LTD. Installed roller timing set doing 4deg cam advance at same time. That did improve allround performance of otherwise stock motor in heavy LTD.

Using Eagle connecting rods in 460. All this is over kill in Lark for driving/cruising around. Is not a drag racer. But thatz how its turning out. Also with overdrive has OK top end potential inspite of poor-to-no aerodynamics.
            BTW - headers are from Australia.
            Bill

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Latest Pix Of Bill's '61 Fordabaker Lark

Bill just sent me some more pix. This is probably going to take two posts to put them up, but you are really going to enjoy the work he is doing on this frame! Here is what he said.

"Here are more chassis pictures for those that like to see details.
              Post them as you see fit. Will be sending body work pictures.
              Bill"
              Attached Files

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The Rest Of The Pix

Here are the remainder of the pix that Bill sent. I am looking forward to seeing the body pix and will post them as soon as I get them.
                Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Body Pix Of Bill's '61 Fordabaker..

Here are more pix of Bill's Fordabaker build, including some body shots. Enjoy!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Still More Pix!

Here are more of them for your viewing pleasure.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• FINSRIN
                      Experienced
                      • Aug 7 2010

Thanks Ray - is good of you to post more pictures. If any forum members want to see more, please let me or Ray know. In the age of digital cameras one can get snap happy with camera and we took a bunch of pictures.

Was looking at side shot. Might be able to replace very rear of roof with 58-63 Tbird rear of roof. Leave rear side windows as is and starting mid-pillar graft on Tbird roof. Idea came to me while looking at posted pictures. Lark roof is likely to tall for that. Will take measurements. Anyone here who has 61-63 rear roof measurements? Height - pillar width - roof width at bottom & top of pillar. 59 Galaxie roof is also a candidate.

Like to have definite Ford identity when done. Top of front fenders with curve down they have may be good for early Falcon fender top ornaments.
                      Have Ford identity ideas? --- please post them.
                      Bill

Comment

Fordabaker ...

A lot of really nice work there. I know how builds can tend to get out of hand. Maybe a truck sourced Blue Oval worked int the grill? Mike

Comment

• FINSRIN
                          Experienced
                          • Aug 7 2010

Trim pieces

Thanks - That gave me a further idea. In lower left corner of grill 62 Larks (nose and grill we are using) have an abstract emblem of a Lark bird. Blue oval could go there. Using factory location for Lark emblem to mount Blue Oval.

Went to swap meet today with tape measure in hand. Found that 65 Falcon, 56 Fairlane, 62 Galaxie side trim all have potential on Lark.
                          Bill

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

How 'bout this:
                            Attached Files

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• FINSRIN
                              Experienced
                              • Aug 7 2010

Yes, Yes, Yes...... right on !
                              Exactly the "Fordabaker" theme we would like to do.
                              Thank you for the visual assist.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎