X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geoffreybusuttilmalta
    Experienced
    • Dec 9 2014

asking about the panel which has the gears on it

Hi all... i am concerned about the panel where there are the gears listed ..... on the steering column... R N D2 D1 .. etc... does it light up please? or not.....
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Geoffrey, yes, the PRNDL should light up. Either the bulb is dead, or the wiring to it might be disconnected. IF your gauge lights work, your PRNDL light should also. If your gauge lights do not work, the light switch has a rheostat built into it. Turning your light switch knob to the right should increase the amount of light to your gauges, and the PRNDL as I recall.

Since we are talking about the PRNDL section, many people do not know what I am about to say. Some people start driving their car by putting it into D2 instead of D1. When you start out in D2, you are bypassing low gear. Drive the car in the D1 position.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• toddgilroy
      Experienced
      • Aug 30 2014

Yes, and only the gear selected (the red/orange ring) should light up. Old bulb # is 1445.
      Attached Files
      Todd Gilroy
      1960 Tbird Convertible
      Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

There is a snap in plate on the shift selector housing on the top. You can pry off the plate and it will expose the bulb. There is a screw that holds the socket for the bulb. Remove the screw and pull out the socket to replace the bulb.
        Nyles

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
          Experienced
          • Dec 9 2014

Will try to find one for slae at a service station.. because it was black .. .

i heard you commented about driving on D1 or D2... normally i just put it on D1.. ... is D2 only used for long roads?... I mean.. if i`m driving on the road.. .. and I`d like to put it on D2 ... all i need to do is just switch it to D2 .. and drive...

here on our island we dont have highways :/ ... longest roads are a few km in length... so I think I`d stick to drive on D1

thanks a lot friends

Geoffrey

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Geoffrey, you are probably not going to find that #1445 bulb on Malta. I would be surprised if you did. It will probably be something that you are going to have to order from one of the Tbird parts houses. As for D1 & D2, stay in D1 and you will be fine. Many people drive in D2 and wonder why it never goes into low gear... That is because D2 bypasses low gear...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard the D2 option was for driving in icy or slippery conditions. By starting in second gear, you have less torque applied and less of chance to slip or spin the rear wheels. This probably isn't a big problem in Malta.
              Nyles

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                Super-Experienced
                • Dec 23 2008

Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard the D2 option was for driving in icy or slippery conditions. By starting in second gear, you have less torque applied and less of chance to slip or spin the rear wheels.
                That is one story, but the real truth of why Ford made it this way is to give Chevy guys a chance at stoplight racing. Fords had so much torque they only needed to start in 2nd gear to beat a Chebby!!

Comment

• bird 60
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 18 2009

Very funny Joe.. Nyles is right, position (D2) can be applied for steep hills as well. Personally I think Ford should have made their Trans so you could go from L -D2-D1. Low, Second, Top to avoid any confusion. I must confess when I first got my Bird I was placing it in D2 as well & wondering why it wasn't taking off sprightly. After going through my owners manual I found out different.

Chris....From OZ.

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 9 2014

cool to know this ... in a months time or so.. i`ll be able to drive it legally on d roads so i can experiment with the gears too... as what regards the bulb i managed to find osmething similar at the service station.. but i can try it tomorrow mornning.. coz here its about 2am .. will keep u informed bout that fellaz

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Here is a list of bulbs that will work, all 14 volt.
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                        Experienced
                        • Dec 9 2014

I will try to find one on monday .. coz all of them were 12 v... when i tried it it didnt light up ... could it be the wiring :/? .. hope not ... really wish it is a change the bulb situation

the previous bulb was blackened .. so it can be...

Comment

• Voyce
                          Experienced
                          • Oct 29 2022

Just an update (yes, the last post here was seven years ago) for those inclined to use LED lamps on their squarebird.

I happened to have a spare BA9 Base LED lamp, white color, with a translucent cover. After popping the steering column cover near the wheel (thanks to above discussion), I removed the PRNDL lamp socket. The fixture has a sleeve that fits over the lamp (the orange ring you see for gear selection),

The lap fits in the 1445 socket and cover, but the lamp was a little too long for the cover to seat fully.

I used a powered drum sander to reduce the overall lamp length, presenting a flat end instead of the hemispherical end as made. After sanding enough (220 grit) to fit within the fixture properly so it could be fastened, I proceeded to finish the new lens.

Proceeding through a series of hand sandings, with increasingly finer grits, a polished surface was achieved.

A nice result with a longer cooler life and less power draw.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎