No announcement yet.

head gaskets leaking a lot of oil onto the floor

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gaskets leaking a lot of oil onto the floor

I have 1963 with a stock 390, with 155k miles, previous owner told me engine was rebuilt at about 100k miles.

Car runs fine, does not overheat, blows no smoke, burns very little oil,
    There is no oil in the radiator, there is no mystery disappearace of coolant (like my chev and cadillac always did) and there is no coolant in the oil pan, so the I don't think the water jacket in breached.

BUT.... there are a lot of oil leaks from the engine. I checked with a mirror and lamp and found the passenger side cylinder head appeared to be leaking a lot of oil from the head gasket/block interface.
    Why would the head gasket surface be leaking so much oil ?

It really dribbles. Two 6" dia puddles every time I park the car after a drive. Looks like leaks from both heads, thanks for your advice

Andy
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

Hi there

I my opinion it's possible that your rocker cover gaskets might be leaking oil down the side of the heads/block. When this happens the oil can gather on the join/gasket between head and block, so it looks like the head gasket is leaking, when it isn't.

It's unlikely that the head gaskets are leaking that much oil, so it might pay to check the rocker gaskets first - they can dribble out quite a bit of oil.

Alistair

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

That's right.

I've even seen oil from the rear of the valve cover gasket drip down the back of the bell housing making it look like a bad rear main seal.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

It's either from the vavle covers or the back of manifold. The FE motor was great for that manifold leak. Not a real good design were it meets the block. And will leak like you describe.

Comment

• Hawkrod
          Experienced
          • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by tbirds8
          It's either from the vavle covers or the back of manifold. The FE motor was great for that manifold leak. Not a real good design were it meets the block. And will leak like you describe.

That is where I would put my money. Rear intake leaks are not fun and the oil runs accross the head parting line and drips from the corner. Valve covers can do it but manifolds always do it! Hawkrod

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎