No announcement yet.

could use more belly 59 bird

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

pardon if i mess any thing this is a first post.

my new to me 59 seems designed for thin people. I need a few inchs more room because the wheel rubs my belly. the things I plan to try first diet second re locate the seat then maybe replace the wheel with a smaller dia one with less dish if i get real crazy look into a new col. with tilt.

the first two make the most sense i dont know if the next two would work and what replacement i could use
    hpozz
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are two sets of mounting holes in the seat tracks. You can try using the forward holes. That will give you a little more room.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Henry & John, thanks for posting that pic of the underside of the seat. I told Henry about those holes, but it is good for him to be able to see them in the pic. I think he will see about moving the seat back. He is not worried about a slight loss of knee room in the back seat behind him. If he were to buy a smaller aftermarket steering wheel, what problems would he run into? Would he have problems in getting the horn to sound, turn signal operation, shifting gears? Putting in a tilt steering column and/or a swing away steering column I suspect would be a much more involved procedure than swapping out the steering wheel. The easiest thing he can do is to move the seat and see if that gives him enough room. Henry, I am going to send you an email and tell you how I managed to shed some 60lbs off my weight over the last few years. I am much better off for my health as a result.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

Two things.
        If you use the front bolt holes, in the seat tracks, there are no nuts welded to the tracks. I spot welded some nuts to make the install a little easier, but I'm pretty sure there is room to snake a nut in place and tight it after the seat is installed.
        Second, a friend of mine got a steering wheel off of a 63-64 TBird to give him more room. I think the wheel is a little smaller in diameter and also does not have dish in it the original does. (I may be wrong on the year of TBird, but I remember it was a later model than ours)
        Nyles

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎