Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Heater motor (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12423)

Anders 02-01-2012 07:17 PM

Heater motor

I have renovated my heater motor, a while ago, and thought it was time to put the stuff back. In doing so, I looked up The 1958 Air condition shop manual ( http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ShopManual.pdf ) and found something on page 6, that made me baffled. There is a drawing clearly showing 3 wires coming out from the motor. + - and earth. Now, I donīt know if I have made a mistake when I put my motor back or if the drawing is incorrect, but I only have 2 wires coming out of my motor. + and -.
Can anyone out they have a check on your blower motor and see if you have 2 or 3 wires coming out of your motor?

All the best,
//Anders

DKheld 02-01-2012 07:35 PM

On my '60 there are 3. Orange (Fast), Red (Slow), and Black (Ground). The 3 wires are necessary for the 2 speed fan (and my car did not come with A/C). If you have only 2 wires maybe the motor was replaced before you bought the car? Did you have both fan speeds before?

Eric

Anders 02-01-2012 07:45 PM

Thatīs a good question....:confused: Didnīt realy play with it much, as the AC didnīt work.

I am VERY sure that the Red & Black wires is back ( but new ) on the right place in the motor. But I canīt even remember see any Orange when I took it apart :(

Does this mean I need to get another motor, or can I connect a wire somewhere for the Orange? And if so, where?

Dakota Boy 02-01-2012 07:51 PM

This little detail is fresh in my mind, because I was getting my heat/defrost stuff all working just a few months ago.

Two-wire motor means you only have one fan "speed".

I hooked mine up to the "High" side on the fan switch; orange wire.

I doubt it matters wether you use the orange or red wire. The motor has one speed.

The three-wire motors seem to be as rare as chickens' teeth these days.

DKheld 02-01-2012 08:01 PM

You should have 2 wires coming out of the firewall from the switch (Orange and Red) and the black from the motor connects to the firewall itself as a ground. (that's a good pic in the A/C manual on page 6)

I agree with Greg - if you have only one "hot" wire on the motor it is most likely a single speed motor - so just connect it to the Orange wire (or if it is missing just connect it to the red wire).

Eric

partsetal 02-01-2012 08:03 PM

At first I htought the slightly bigger motor with the 3 wires (plus ground) was correct for A/C in all three years. Then I saw the smaller two wire motors being used. and thought the resistor under the fan housing was what regulated the fan speed. What is correct?
Carl

Anders 02-01-2012 08:24 PM

I have some kind of "double connector" ( female ) housing the red and orange from the car. Then, there is two other wires that goes to the underside of the blower housing, holding something that looks like a resistor or similar on the inside.

Dakota Boy 02-01-2012 08:50 PM

Perhaps the "double connector" is just a splice of some sort, so the motor runs no matter what speed is selected at the switch.

Sooner or later SimplyConnected will reply, and put this matter to rest. :cool:

Isnt it a bit late over there in Sweden right now?!!!?

DKheld 02-01-2012 09:02 PM

Ooops.

Forgot the A/C cars are wired differently and the wires from the switch go to the control box on the evaporator then over to the resistor and blower. Guess the A/C style blower motors could be different as well.

Maybe someone with an A/C car will chime in.

Eric

Anders 02-01-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Boy (Post 61878)
Perhaps the "double connector" is just a splice of some sort, so the motor runs no matter what speed is selected at the switch.

Sooner or later SimplyConnected will reply, and put this matter to rest. :cool:

Isnt it a bit late over there in Sweden right now?!!!?

The double connector is going to two different places. One is Orange and the other red.

He,he.. Yes. After 02:00 in the middle of the night. Ned to go to bed. Up in 4 hours again..;)