Jay ~ Shovelhead's "Tbird".... Isn't!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay ~ Shovelhead's "Tbird".... Isn't!

We had a brand new member join us today and he became a Paid Member at the same time. Jay lives up in North Texas and just recently bought his classic car out of the State of Arkansas, according to the license plate on it. What is interesting is that in looking for some information regarding problems he is having with his fuel and temp gauges, he stumbled across our Forum, and comments that Dave had made and sent us a message through our Contact Us facility regarding his gauge problem. His message went to Webmaster, and since both jopizz and I also receive those emails as back up to Dave, I answered it. It turns out that Jay does not own a Tbird but something else. It also turns out that Dave told me that the gauges in his classic car uses the same type of CVR unit we have in our Squarebirds. Jay, having some good mechanical and electrical abilities knows that the 12v from the system got through the CVR unit to the gauges, hence probably the problem with those gauges. So Jay intends to replace that CVR unit with one of Dave's solid state CVR units once he gets the instrument panel off, taking advantage of Dave's special offer, to Paid Members. Here is what Jay has recently found and will be restoring whenever the deluge of rain in North Texas ends and so does the flooding... He owns what looks to be a beautiful red and black 1958 Edsel Ranger! See the pix!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
    "It's Hip To Be Square"
    Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Jay she sure is a beauty. Welcome.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Hello everyone,
      The owners of my dads local hearing aid supplier bought this 1958 Edsel Ranger new. Somewhere in the mid 90’s he got into a little mess and sold it to his brother-in-law. He and his wife enjoyed entering it in car shows. In 2001 Mr. Carol bought the car back from his brother-in-law, the main difference between the two men was Mr. Carol believed in driving the car on a routine basis.
      In 2004 my father started using Mr. Carol and his wife for his hearing aids, which is how we became friends. Like any red blooded American, dad and I started trying to purchase the ole girl. The bartering process lasted until a few months ago.
      In October 2017 my mother was diagnosed with bone cancer. Mr. Carol lived in Texarkana, AR (half the city is in Arkansas and half is in Gods Country ) but due to his own battle with cancer, he spent the better part of a year in Oklahoma. The day we followed the ambulance to which was carrying mom to Little Rock Hospital, Mr. Carol called and said he was in town and wanted to get together for dinner. Obviously, we were not able to make it, we spent the next 11 months in the hospital. While in Little Rock, last July Mr. Carol passed away. Roughly two weeks later, Mrs Carol called and said we needed to come over and tend to the Edsel.
      Now, ya have to keep in mind, the haggling has been going on for years. Once we arrive, Mrs. Carol was of no mind to discuss the price. I’m sure you can understand my confusion. Finally, I said..... “Mrs. Carol, if you haven’t called us to sell the Edsel, then what can I do for you?” She said, “You can get that thing out of here!” Again, you can understand my confusion. When I asked her about the price again, she just leaned back in her chair and began to cry and yet laugh at the same time. At this point, I gave up trying to understand. While continuing to laugh, pausing to dry off the tears, she called her husband by name and said, “He has laughed every week when y’all start talking about the Edsel. Of course, dad had to ask why that was so funny. She said because he told the kids and I that he wanted y’all to end up with the car. He knew y’all would finish the restoration but he also knew y’all would drive it around town and not set it up waiting on a parade. The day we were headed to Little Rock, Mr. Carol wasn’t concerned about having dinner, he wanted to “give” us the car. And unfortunately, by the time we got back to Texarkana, Mr. Carol passed away.
      There was no way We could go through with that. After squabbling back and forth I said, Mrs. Carol, sugar we just can’t do that, if for no other reason than I feel like we would be taking advantage of some “poor little ole widow woman.” {of course with a smile} She said, Jay, this little old woman is fixing to jump up out of this walker and kick your butt! After a good laugh she explained, the kids just want the money from the sale of the car, I’m to old to drive it let alone maintain it, Mr. Carol and I have considered y’all family for 15 years or better and his last wishes and my current desire is for you two to take the car, get it running and drive the **** out of it.
      As with most things, there was a catch. Mrs. Carol explained that they told the kids that they we’re selling it to us for ten. Like you, dad and I thought she meant $10,000 and like you, we were wrong. She meant $10. Yep....
      here we go again, I’m confused. She said, “now look, the economy has been hard, people are still trying to recover from the market, I know $10 is a lot of money. And no one knew Mr. Carol was going to die. This just snuck up on us, so I don’t expect you to have to come up with all the money at the same time. I’m going to set you up on payments, I want $1 a year but if you’re late, I’m going to charge you interest. “But what if you die,” dad asked. She laughed and said, “looks like you would get one **** of a deal!”
      We’ve done a lot of maintenance stuff to the car and this last weekend, I rebuilt the carburetor. The ole girl just floats right on down the road. Now, I’m down to fixing some of the dash gauges but on the most part, she’s ready to priss around town.
      From our all family owned 64’ SS Impala to past Stingrays to old Knucklehead Springers, I’ve never had the urge to name my car. But considering how we came by her, it only seems suiting that we named her........ “Carol”.

As Paul Harvey would say, “And now ya know, the rest of the story.” I’m awfully excited that I stumbled across Squarebirds. So far, I’ve been in communication with Dave and Ray. I’ve got to commend Ray!! I went a round about way asking a question about an article Dave had written and Ray went the extra mile tracking me down just so I could get an answer.
      Is the term for not having a father as a child, the same as joining Squarebirds without a Tbird?

Comment

Wowwwww! What a fantastic story of how you came to acquire "Carol", Jay! I enjoyed reading that story so much and I am sure many of our members on here will also when they read it. I am so glad that I was able to track you down (some say I must be part Bloodhound!) and respond to your email. Now, when the weather clears and you can get back to working on the Old Girl, hopefully, we can help you sort out the gauge problem....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
        "It's Hip To Be Square"
        Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Congratulations Jay. Somewhat sad story but a good one. Welcome to the Club. Ray, as ELVIS would say, You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

Welcome, Jay! North Texas here as well. I stumbled into Squarebirds last year as well. Like you, Iíve been into cool old cars my whole life, but unfortunately, other than a 63 Duo-Glide, by old bike fix has come thanks to the fine machines from Springfield. A 1930 101 Scout and a 47 Chief. I was the guy riding when yíall were wrenching.

Old cars for me were 55-56 Fords and Mercs, but like you, I think the Edsel is the coolest of the cool. That 361 will sure as shootiní run away from most stuff out on the open road.
            Iím looking forward to seeing you out and about one of these days.
            My 59 T-bird convertible is undergoing a bit of a cosmetic facelift these days, but Iíll get her out soon enough.

-Ernie

Comment

Working...
            X