Welcome, giffordra !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome, giffordra !!

Welcome to Squarebirds, giffordra! Randy hales from Texas and owns a 1960 Hardtop and 1960 HT(soon to be a parade convt w/ HT)! We would certainly like to know more about this! We always enjoy seeing pictures of our new members Tbird. If you have any you want to share with us you can post them directly on our server as a Paid Member. To become one, have a PayPal account and click on the Donate to Site button at the top right of this Forum. Or you can create an account on one of the free picture hosting websites, upload your pictures there and post the link to them in Our Rides Forum. Or you can send them to me and I will post them for you. We have the greatest Tbird Techies from around the world on here. So if you need any help with your Squarebird just post away in the Squarebirds Forum. They will be glad to help. I would recommend that you save my phone number should you ever need to contact me. Should you have any problems navigating our Forum, please contact me, or our webmaster, simplyconnected. His phone number is 248-544-8834. Enjoy The Journey!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
    "It's Hip To Be Square"
    Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Randy also welcome to our truly international site where you will find some of the most knowledgeable birders around. Ask any questionanswer where you canand participate oftenGreat to see another multiple owner and are they registered in the TBird registry on our site?
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Welcome aboard Randy!!

Jon from Wichita Falls, TX.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

yellowrose

Thanks for the great reception from yellowrose,tbird430,Dan Leavens! Great to be on board. Looks like a lot of friendly info and technical expertise! As for my affiliation with the Tbirds, I had owned a '60 back in '75 sold it in '77 and regretted it ever since. I also owned a nice '71 that I restored and drove for 3 years and traded it for a '55 Olds. Regretted that also! I bought my latest twin birds from a gentlemen in Crawford,Tx. One, (supposedly the "parts" car) had been damaged when a tree fell on it crushing the pass fender, door and top. I think the rest of the bird was too good to part out. Just needed some hard work.I do have another parts car that I was going to cut the top off and replace it. My son said that I already had a hardtop so why not make it into a convertible? That's where we are today. Tomorrow at high noon we begin surgery. Wish me luck!

Comment

Welcome, giffordra !!

Hi Randy, before you start the working on converting that hardtop to a convertible you might want to read up on some information in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) regarding the pro's and con's of doing so. There are problems that can be encountered without doing the additional stiffening and bolstering of the body that the convertible had built into it at production. This is missing in the body of a production hardtop squarebird. There are other things to consider also, like cracking windshields without that stiffening. Read the article that appears towards the top of the TRL regarding converting a hardtop into a convertible. It is right under the BODY section, "Squarebird Frame Differences" by Bill Van Ess. You will want to know what others experienced when they went this route before you start this project. Click on the link to the TRL under my signature element. The information there might save you from a lot of headaches and problems. According to this article, an early production '60 Squarebird (prior to Spring, 1960) had the additional vertical support built into it. After the Spring of 1960 they left it out. You might want to check and see what month your donor Squarebird was built in to see if it has the additional vertical support or not. There is a way to check for it also, in this article. You might want to consider contacting Bill Van Ess also, for his input before you start this project. His contact information is on his website.
          Last edited by YellowRose; October 13th, 2011, 03:17 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
          "It's Hip To Be Square"
          Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Hey Randy,
            Welcome to Squarebirds! I will agree with Ray about reading some thing that have been posted about this process! Anyway, if you do decide to do this please take LOTS of pictures and keep us posted!
            Once again welcome!
            Richard D. Hord
            sigpic'60 Thunderbird "Christine"
            Registry #33436

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on all the available info. I downloaded Bill Van Ess's white paper several weeks ago and read it several times. I wish there were some input from those who have actually performed the modification, but there's not a lot out there. With Van Ess's report in hand,I consulted my structural engineers and stress engineers at work(aircraft company) and I did get some differing opinions but basically since the construction of the T-Bird unibody is so beefy, it was blessed with not much modification. The unibody is not constructed like the newer cars where there are frame rails attached to a body pan. The T-Bird frame rails follow the outside edge of the body and forms a beam down the sides. In the middle of that beam is the vertical support( complete with lightening holes) just as Bill mentions in his report. Luckily, all my birds are early birds and have that support. I suspect that Ford removed that support on the later birds after determining that the nearly 4" beam was more than sufficient structural support for the hardtop.It's all analysis and speculation at this point. I sure would like to hear from someone that did the mod and experienced good or bad results. I'm going to start out with my spare windshield before I put in a new one just in case! I'll take pics and keep y'all posted.

Comment

Working...
              X