Well, nuts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, nuts!

Since I was unable to sell the 280ZX that was my project before the '59 came along, I had been trying to get it up and running so I could use it as my daily. When I bought the car I wasn't worried about the engine since I planned to swap it out. I wasn't surprised when it wouldn't turn by hand, it had sat for 15-16 years before I bought it so it was likely to be seized. I thought soaking it with good ol' Marvel Mystery Oil would fix it. I found out just how wrong I was when I finally opened the oil fill cap and looked inside.

I doubt the rest of the internals look any better than the camshaft. There's no saving this engine. The body is too rough to have any value by itself. So it looks like either I commit to doing a full engine swap (although not the one I planned when I bought the car) or I scrap the car and take the loss.

302/AOD fit?
    59-430-HT

Comment

Originally posted by OX1 View Post
      302/AOD fit?
      I've seen it done. Tons of room under the hood. I'd go with the T5 though.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernGorilla View Post
        Since I was unable to sell the 280ZX that was my project before the '59 came along, I had been trying to get it up and running so I could use it as my daily....
        What? You tried to start a frozen engine?

Any of the engine internals can be replaced. It only takes money. How much were you asking for it? (You don't really need to tell me.)

I like OX1's suggestion. There are loads of Mustang powertrains out there and they are cheap.

My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

[
          Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
          What? You tried to start a frozen engine?

Any of the engine internals can be replaced. It only takes money. How much were you asking for it? (You don't really need to tell me.)

I like OX1's suggestion. There are loads of Mustang powertrains out there and they are cheap.
          Just tried to turn it by hand.

Not sure the block would be any good. It's been sitting for 15 years with water in the oil. The whole bottom end might look like that camshaft.

I was looking for a new drivetrain. Found a complete 302 for $150. Needed the accessories and tin bits, but still a good deal. T5s are harder to find. Plus the fabrication work I can't do. I figured it would probably take $2,000 and a few months to get it on the road. That's time and effort I'd rather put into the T-Bird. Or sink that money into a pickup so I have a hauler.

I had hoped to get $800 out of it. But with the engine being junk I doubt I'd get half that.

Comment

Working...
          X