X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Ethanol Free Gas Stations...

Thanks to a newsletter from the VTCI Tbird club in Louisiana, I can tell you were you can find Ethanol Free Gas Stations in the US and Canada. There is a pure-gas.org listing by State at the bottom of this website. Click on your State. When I clicked on Texas, I found about 103 stations listed... and NONE of them in San Antonio. Here is the link.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Ray, this is certainly a help for 'specialty' needs. Some cites and states have committed to lead-free gasohol (like Wisconsin).

Having said that, most marinas and air fields offer real gas but at higher octanes. Of course, boats and planes have no catalytic converters. In the whole Detroit area, only one gas station (for cars) is listed. They offer 110-octane leaded racing fuel. I don't know how much it is per gallon.

This is actually very convenient for folks who want the good stuff in their classic muscle cars. As a kid, I remember visiting our closest private air field to buy 100-octane (leaded) gasoline. It was ten miles out of the city. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

I just returned from a 3500 mile trip through the western states and found regular with ethanol for $3.99 and non-ethanol regular for $4.09 somewhere in Nebraska. I filled up with the non-ethanol and my milage increased from 20.3 to 21.9 with the cruise at 80. Thought that a very good investment for a dime. Wish I could get non-ethanol where I live but it is not available.

Comment

Just checked PA their prob. the countys that don't need emission inspection. I might take my truck and 4 55 gal drums and get some in bridgeport that's preety close

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The information regarding Ethanol Free Gas Stations just came out in the VTCI Scoop May/June 2013 edition. I see that there have been two more stations added to the list for Texas. However, there are still none listed in the major cities of Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Just in the smaller cities around the State. However, you might want to check your State again to see if there have been any added to the list since I last published their link.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Ickaber
            Apprentice
            • Mar 22 2013

Most listed here in WA seem to be either 87 or 92 octane. Are these both suitable for running in my bullet bird? There seem to be a lot of stations here in WA, with two being in my own town. If these are suitable, I think I'll start heading to these for my gas. (One of them is the supplier of my home heating oil. Who knew?)

Comment

• djberson
              Experienced
              • Jun 10 2012

It seems like there are few if any ethanol free filling stations in metropolitan areas... at least not those I live / have lived in. For instance, I live in DC and DC is not even listed. All the towns in MD and VA that are listed here are remote. None I recognize as being close to DC or even Baltimore for that matter.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Just a note-

Ethanol free fuel is offered mainly in rural areas for farm/off-road equipment that has not had the fuel systems updated to handle modern gasoline blends.

It is cost prohibitive for distributors to add tanks/pumps to dispense (and it may be controlled somewhat by the EPA).

It is merely a convenience for older automotive use.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Yes, the same thing applies in Texas. It is not found in the larger cities here either.

Can someone answer Ickaber's question regarding using 87 or 92 Octane in his Bulletbird? You could try the 87 and see if you get any knocking or pinging I would think. If so, try the 92 octane and see how it does. But I would prefer that someone who really knows their engines answer his question.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by YellowRose

Can someone answer Ickaber's question regarding using 87 or 92 Octane in his Bulletbird? You could try the 87 and see if you get any knocking or pinging I would think. If so, try the 92 octane and see how it does. But I would prefer that someone who really knows their engines answer his question.
                    You just answered your own question Ray...

Try and see (small amount to start). With the cost of premium, one may get away with mixing regular and premium for a lower cost fuel.

Comment

• Ickaber
                      Apprentice
                      • Mar 22 2013

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                      You just answered your own question Ray...

Try and see (small amount to start). With the cost of premium, one may get away with mixing regular and premium for a lower cost fuel.
                      Okay, I'll give it a shot. With Dave's mention of 100 or 110 octane, I just wasn't sure if I should be messing with 87.

I just called and asked what they were selling each (87 / 92) for. I was told, "It's been going up quite aggressively lately, but today it's $4.26 and $4.58."

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Ickaber

With Dave's mention of 100 or 110 octane, I just wasn't sure if I should be messing with 87.
                        Few cars actually needed that much (then rated) 100 octane. Remember SUNOCO 260 from the pump? That was gasoline designed for then muscle cars.

If yours detonates on now rated 87 octane, you can try re-curving the distributor timing curve or trying to break down excessive carbon deposits from the combustion chambers (excessive CR).

If a fuel cocktail mix does not alleviate it, you will have little choice.

And keep in mind not all gasoline blends are of the same quality, and that methanol actually adds octane.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎