Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any purists @ squarebirds anymore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any purists @ squarebirds anymore?

Just curious.... I am of the same belief as most members, "it's your car do as you wish" but I have noticed over the years that this has become much more of a "modders" site than it used to be. I would just like to know if I am the only purist here anymore. I love my '58 and most vintage cars and I love the "vintage" technologies that make them what they are. Lets face it after 50 + years of course there is better technoloy...but then are they really classics anymore? i dunno....... I would like to know if anyone is still interested in true restorations. satisfy an old mans curiosity

I bought my '60 Bird off the original owner's family.

She still sports vacuum wipers, a generator, and drum brakes at all 4 corners. I did add radial white wall tires though...

I think that says enough for me.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

My Dad and Mom bought my car new. I love driving it but wanted to drive it more often without so much worry so that is one of the main reasons I did some mods.

Added disc brakes to pull a wheelchair trailer for my son but all the mods I did could be reversed if I wanted to go back original. Went to the trouble to find 14 inch wheels to fit my disc conversion so that I could run the original hub caps.

I wanted A/C so I've tried to re-create it as it would have been added at the dealer (even kept the metal I cut from the firewall so it could be put back if I wanted - ha ha ha).

I have radial tires which - to me - made it more enjoyable to drive.

I think it's great to have folks that keep them totally stock just so we can always see what they were like originally but understand the modifications made for safety and enjoyment.

JMHO......great idea for a post. Looking forward to the replies.
      Eric
      registry 5347
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5347

Comment

Originally posted by frank58 View Post
        Just curious.... I am of the same belief as most members, "it's your car do as you wish" but I have noticed over the years that this has become much more of a "modders" site than it used to be. I would just like to know if I am the only purist here anymore. I love my '58 and most vintage cars and I love the "vintage" technologies that make them what they are. Lets face it after 50 + years of course there is better technoloy...but then are they really classics anymore? i dunno....... I would like to know if anyone is still interested in true restorations. satisfy an old mans curiosity
        I would without doubt kept my bird 100% original, if it have matching numbers. But to my supprice when I got it home from Texas, someone have already changed the engine and tranny to a 390 ī64. Not to mension itīs very hard to get the ī58 hubcaps..... So I kind of decided to let it be a "mild custom" so it is possible to bring it back to original with ease if I want in the future. I will keep all parts I change, so it can go back with the right parts kind of... By some reason, Iīm a bit confused about new made parts as well. One side of me like the possibility to put the car back as it should look, with parts from all the vendors, but another part of me want to restore as much of the original parts as possible, as the new parts have very little to do with 1958, made in China or something like that.
        So if I got hold of a compleate car in good shape with matching numbers, I would think a few times before I touched it.
        At the moment, I am trying to get my old AC works, as I donīt want to buy a modern one.
        Last edited by Anders; February 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM.
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth"
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

I think this question can only be answered by those extravagant enough to keep their classic cars in a garage because 1958 cars weren't built to drive among 2012 traffic.

Let's face it, where can you find oil or gas that meets 1950 SAE standards? And how can you ask your family to climb aboard and take them out on today's highways with marginal shoe brakes or without seatbelts, radial tires, disk brakes, etc? Certainly, other cars on those same roads have all the modern equipment, plus air bags.

If you want bone stock, you need to enjoy how your classic looks at home, or trailer it to shows. If you want to enjoy your classic at local cruises and club meetings, consider an upgrade to today's standards. JMHO. - Dave
          My latest project:
          CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

On Squarebirds that I've restored and am restoring, I get my guidance from the data plate on the door and from the VTCI Standards. Strictly an "Original" guy.
            Carl

Comment

I'm a purist except when it comes to safety. The brakes and windshield wipers are not only inadequate but downright dangerous. Those are the two things I will upgrade on my '59. That and I'll add seat belts and probably upgrade to an alternator.
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

"Full restoration" or "custom" jobs, everyone on this site is saving an old car from the crusher.

I FULLY appreciate original cars, but jeez.... the full restorations seem to only be seen on Barrett-Jackson, and are being purchased by multi-millionaires.

I know a guy here in Wisconsin with an untouched '58 in PRISTINE condition. It is absolutely amazing to see in person. Even the original dashpad is in good shape.
                Last edited by Dakota Boy; February 9th, 2012, 11:20 PM.
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Still original here, except added seat belts and pertronix. Doesn't see much highway use, but Never Trailered.
                  Last edited by fomoco59; February 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Mike Lemmon
                  '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

My '60 is pretty close to stock, with the following exceptions: seat belts, electric wipers, 6 blade fan, fan shroud. Edelbrock 4bbl and new dash pad were done by previous owner. Still has orig leather interior, carpets and headliner. Will probably go with radials when the current bias plys wear out. Driven less than 2,000 each of the last 2 seasons.
                    Regards,
                    Don Vincent
                    Amherst NY
                    1960 HT 352
                    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

Other than the wheels, mine's stock and I plan to keep it that way. The only possible exception is the brakes, I may go to discs to make it better for modern traffic. But there's plenty of things to spend money on to fix, so that's unlikely at best.

I appreciate full customs like Keith here is doing, but mostly I think these cars have enough style that a set of wheels and maybe lowering are all they really need, if anything.
                      DGS (aka salguod)
                      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                      www.salguod.net

Comment

Plenty of high way drive here and often to work in "morning hurry" tempo. Always goes the same speed and tempo as todays cars. Find it more safe instead of being a moving blocker... With drums. Iīm quite happy with there performance. But I spended quite some time in adjusting and got them tested. No belts or outer mirrors. No problems. Ruth donīt let me down
                        Last edited by Anders; February 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM.
                        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth"
                        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

There is a lot to be said for both worlds. I do not have a Squarebird, but my 63SR is highly original (all glass, dash pad, uncut wiring with orig cotton covering, original brake pressure switch, etc) but my 57 is slightly modified. The 57 is more fun to drive and is quicker, but the 63 is a great evening cruiser which seldom leaves town or sees the open road. For me it depends on what you have when you start out and of course what you expect to do with the car. If you are saving a rusty one by all means modifiy to your needs as they are usually difficult to make concours correct, but if you have a nice original rust free car, I would only do mods that are reversible. That's just my approach. I really like modified and customs and appreciate all the work that goes into them and am amazed at some of the paint jobs.

Safety is paramont and the brakes are always my number one priority!

Comment

My take is pretty much the same as Joe's.

I am fortunate that I don't have to spend a lot of time on body work and frankly I am amazed at the skilz that some people have to get them back from the rust bucket stage to concours.

Safety is my main concern for drivability and not trailerability.

I am not going to do any that is not reversible or changes the basic look.

Now, I would like to have a set of Cragar SS with Redlines just so Mable can change her looks by changing her shoes now and again.

I also have a set of '56 Merc tail lights that she will try on occasionally. (Ever see a Tbird like that Joe?)

I do like what some folks have done. Here is a cool Race Bird that belongs to a Duck in Freeland, MI.
                            Attached Files
                            Jim
                            Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                            sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post

If you want bone stock, you need to enjoy how your classic looks at home, or trailer it to shows. If you want to enjoy your classic at local cruises and club meetings, consider an upgrade to today's standards. JMHO. - Dave
                              I absolutely respect your opinion...but...I couldn't disagree more....original does not mean "show" just because a car is original doesn't make it a "trailer queen".
                              I certainly would never frown on any safety improvments should someone desire a 50 year old daily driver. I've done a few "mods" in the past on the 3 sqbirds I've owned... I like (most) mods. The purpose of this thread was not to say anything was better than anything.. just curious as to how many are being kept original (not necessarily show). Great responses from all so far

Comment

Working...
                              X