Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve spring shims

Morning all

Anyone had any recent experience of shimming their valve springs to correct the installed height ?
    I checked mine at the weekend and I have a couple that require shims to reduce the height. I had a look on Summit and they list shims for FE's with an inside diameter of 0.765". I measured the valve seats on my heads and the internal diameter needs to be 1.025" so the shims sit around the slightly raised area around the base of the guide. Am I missing something

Jon
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201

Since no one else has participated, perhaps I may assist.

The generally correct shim sets with the 1.031" I.D. x 1.500" O.D. are available from the company Silver Seal, V.S.I. # A103 with the suffix "A" (.060"), "B" (.030") & "C" (015") thicknesses.

I am assuming perhaps a valve job has been executed hence the excessive valve spring installed height; as hopefully one isn't solely attempting to rectify such do to recessed (sunk) valve seats due to wear?

Also realize that just achieving the O.E.M. installed height specification (if that were the goal) with the use of the original used (perhaps fatigued) or new aftermarket springs (not being of specific intention) may not acquire the desired effect.

And, always be wary of technical information from the mail order houses, as this is not their primary business intent.

Scott.

Comment

Thanks Scott, thatís very useful.
      its all new springs, keepers etc, the installed height Iím trying to achieve is as recommended by comp cams for that particular valve spring.
      Jon
      Jon
      Deepest Hertfordshire
      Old enough to know I'm right...
      1960 Hardtop T'bird
      1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

Working...
      X