Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhuebner
    Experienced
    • Apr 12 2014

Was finally able to get back to work on the engine, I got it down to small block replaced timing chain and gears, will mask the block up tomorrow for paint

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Tell us more.
      Were the core plugs loaded with goo? What kind of ridge did you find on the cylinder walls? How did the crankshaft measure out? Did you balance the crankshaft?

The purpose for disassembling the engine is so the machine shop can do their work. They need a bare block to boil it clean, bore,hone and deck the block. Head work is separate but just as important.

I would like to hear your story. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jhuebner
        Experienced
        • Apr 12 2014

Cylinder walls had almost no ridge and the walls shiny and scratch free, pulled the plugs and the water was not to bad have seen worse, crank and bearings seemedmto be in good shape from a visual check right now the block is at a shop for the rest of the disassembly, odometer reading is just over 77XXX, engine looked to be in great shape internally

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

John, when your block was original it came with honing marks that are now worn away. These grooves are important for oil control. They also need to be at 45 degrees and in both directions. Otherwise, they will promote piston ring rotation.

Smooth bores make an engine burn oil (and foul plugs) because of hydroplaning; rings skate over the oil on the intake stroke. The grooves act like the grooves in a highway, giving water somewhere to go.

The machine shop needs to measure your cylinders from bottom to top. They need to be straight and true with the main bearing saddles. If bores are tapered new rings won't seat and high speed flexing will break the rings.

I hope you have a good engine machine shop that can explain what your engine needs. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jhuebner
            Experienced
            • Apr 12 2014

I hope so too, the shop has a good reputation and have been around along time and only deal with classic American cars

Comment

• jhuebner
              Experienced
              • Apr 12 2014

Now have the engine ready to go, need to finish the engine bay cleaning, will try and post some pics once the engine is back in

Comment

Engine removal

John best of luck hope to see pictures soon jeff

Comment

Engine removal

All supposed to be happy faces

Comment

• jhuebner
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 12 2014

Engine is in and bolted up just have the carb to install, upper radiator hose and pertronix ignition.....of course top off fluids........looks like Tuesday to be the day

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

If this is a new or dry engine, don't forget to prime and run the oil pump for a good ten minutes. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jhuebner
                        Experienced
                        • Apr 12 2014

No worries I have a big note on top of the engine" prime first"

Comment

• jhuebner
                          Experienced
                          • Apr 12 2014

Tried to start the Bird tonight, will not start, installed a Pertronix ignition had spark but just would turn over and backfire thru carb sounded like timing, so I installed points so I could set a good static timing and gap on points to start the car, now have no spark, no backfire nothing just turns over.......will have to wait till next Tues to look at further, any suggestions

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Since you were getting spark with the Petronix system and now you aren't the problem must be the points setup you installed. I would check the condenser and the wire from the distributor to the coil.

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

John and I have been here so many times before... Now, I want to see at least three pictures.

Put your crankshaft on the power stroke for #1 cylinder. If you're not sure where the power stroke is, remove the #1 spark plug, stick a piece of paper in the hole, 'bump' the starter and as soon as the paper spits out, that's the power stroke. Line up the timing marks to 6 degrees BTDC and take a picture of the top of the engine with the distributor cap ON.

Get back far enough so I can see the engine and distributor. Now snap another picture with the cap off. Next, take a close picture of your points. Take all three pictures without moving your crankshaft. Let's see what you have. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jhuebner
                                Experienced
                                • Apr 12 2014

No problem, will take some pictures after work

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎