Trunk/Hood Lights On eBay!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk/Hood Lights On eBay!!

Thanks to Richard D. Hord, who sent me an email about NEW trunk/hood lights being offered for sale on eBay, I now own two! These appear to be like the lights that Mac's used to offer for sale but ran out of some time ago. I will post a picture of it below. He is selling them at a Buy Now price of $17.95, plus shipping of $3.95, I think it was for me. He was selling them in groups of four. I think Richard might have gotten the first two and I got the last two. In talking with the owner, I have found that he has a lot of them available. He just re-listed them in a group of six this time. He also has a lot of other parts for these old Fords and will see what else he has that will work on our Squarebirds and up. I told him that he is probably going to get a lot of orders for these lights once this post hits the forum! Now I can light up my trunk and my engine well!

Here is the current Item # to enter to view these lights.

Look at the other things he has available also. He said he has carpet, weatherstripping, suspension parts, some NOS lenses, and other small parts.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; July 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM. Reason: Additional Comments

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
    "It's Hip To Be Square"
    Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Bought 4
    Two in the trunk, and two under the hood.
    Now, How do I connet them? ( Remember me, with electric stuff?...)
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth"
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Get one of these, Anders, it will cut the cost in half and elminate your wiring!!!!!
      1958 Hardtop
      #8452 TBird Registry
      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
      history:
      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Hey Anders,
        I'm down right now with hernia surgery. Once I get going again, I'm going to check and see if these lights have mercury switch in them, I think they do.
        I'm going to come off hot side of solenoid, put inline fuse close to this location, run wires, mount lights and there you have it. I plan on having both my hood and trunk light on the same circuit.
        All you need is single wire to light, they will ground off the body.
        Richard D. Hord
        Hey Anders,
        Just checked and yes they do have mercury switch in them!
        Last edited by Richard D. Hord; July 24th, 2009, 12:58 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

@ John; Thanks. I think... As a matter of fact, I already have this type

@Richard: Please get well first. I can wait.
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth"
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

now say I could use those glasses...!

Comment

I'm not even going to say what I would use them glasses for
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

Richard get well soon, take it easy and you will be up and around soon
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Thanks Guys!
                  I have had several surgeries over the years and this one has to be the granddaddy of them all. I have never hurt so bad in my life. I wish I had never had it done. All well life goes on!
                  THANKS AGAIN!
                  Richard D. Hord
                  Last edited by Richard D. Hord; July 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Hi Richard,

First off a very speedy recovery. Excuse my ignorance, but how do these Mercury lamps work?

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

Trunk/Hood Lights On eBay!!

Hi Chris!

I will attempt to answer this for you and if I have it wrong, someone can correct me. These mercury trunk/hood lights are electrically connected to a 12V source. When the trunk or hood is closed, the switch stays off. There is a glass vial with a drop of mercury in it. Lifting the trunk or hood causes that drop of mercury to roll from one end to the other of the vial, bridging a set of contacts and activating them. That completes the circuit, causing the light to come on. When you close the trunk or hood, that drop of mercury rolls back to the other side, breaking the electrical circuit and the light goes off.

At least, that is how I understand it. I am assuming that they are using the same technology in these lights, since they are called mercury lights. They were often used as trunk and hood lights, crash sensors, and other automotive uses until recent years.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
                      "It's Hip To Be Square"
                      Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks Ray,

What confused me a little was when I saw the Glasses with lights on either side, giving the impression that wiring was not required. When I had my Diner, I had the older type Hot Water Boiler that opperated with the Mercury On & Off Regulator when dropping to a certain Low & a certain High.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

Hey Ray,
                          That pretty well sums it up!
                          Richard D. Hord

Comment

Hey Chris,
                            Same mercury, mercury stays in liquid form, all it does as Ray said is make contact. Your boiler was set up with mercury in a glass tube with a temperature sensitive spring attached. Temp go down spring would move, moving mercury to make contact. Temp go up spring would move, moving mercury away from contact.
                            Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
                            X