Windshield washer pump

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield washer pump

Hey Guys,
    I know they were junk when Ford put them on these Thunderbirds. But there is one on Ebay for sale!
    Item #150358968365 Check it out!
    Richard D. Hord
  • Hawkrod
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2005

That is for a 60, it would not be correct for a 58/59. The 58/9 mount on the engine and the 60 mounts on the generator. Hawkrod

Link:

Comment

Not according to my parts book! All three years '58, '59 and '60 Thunderbird are all the same part number
      My bad they are some what different, the one on the left is for '58-'59. The one on the right is for '60. The '58 and '59 mount on the water pump, mechanics raise cain so Ford moved the '60 and mounted it to the generator with a worm clamp (over grown hose clamp)
      SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING!!!
      Richard D. Hord
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guest; July 14, 2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Windshield washer pump

As I remember Bart Como talking about his windshield washer pump, we were discussing whether or not it would work on my Rose... He said it would not, because his mounts on the generator and since I do not have a generator, there is no place to attach it so it would run properly... They may all three have the same part number, but, according to Bart, and what Hawkrod said, it does mount on the generator. And you are right. It really was a micky mouse way of doing it. That is the reason why most people trashed them, if they had problems with them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Hawkrod
          Experienced
          • Oct 31 2005

They do not all have the same part number. The 58 and 59 with a 352 used a B8S-17664-A, the 59 with a 430 used a B9S-17664-A and the one in the auction is a 60 which was used on all V8 engines is a C0AE-17664-A. It is always important to remember that the books most people have are later versions of the replacement parts catalog and it will list the part as fitting something even if the car did not come with that part originally. When we restore cars we try and return them to the way they were built and so replacement parts that are not correct should never be used unless there is no alternative. Using the wrong parts defeats the point of restoring the car and paying premium prices for wrong parts is just plain absurd and yet it happens all the time because somebody did not know. In this case the seller is misrepresenting the part. He may not know the difference or he may not care but it is still an incorrect description. The problem is somebody who does not know better could see it and assume the description is correct and end up in a bidding war just to buy the wrong part! Hawkrod

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Tom great point and thanks for taking the time to point that out to the members / guests. Too often the sellers, on these sites really don't know what they have and we need to do our " due diligence " before we invest our $$$
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• JohnG
              John
              • Jul 28 2003

Didnt one version mount on the power steering unit ???

Or would this rule out any non-power steering equipped car from having a washer pump??
              1958 Hardtop
              #8452 TBird Registry
              http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
              history:
              http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Hey John,
                My friend has a '59 Thunderbird with a 430. Yes his was mounted to the steering pump!
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                  Hey John,
                  My friend has a '59 Thunderbird with a 430. Yes his was mounted to the steering pump!
                  Richard D. Hord

That's a new one in my book! Can we get any pics of this 1959 430cid Bird?

I was told in the past that the generator mounted washer system was also the Ford service "warranty replacement" for all 1958-60 352cid Birds.

I've seen a 2 owner 1958 352cid Bird with a generator mounted W/S unit too.

Makes us wonder, huh?
                  sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎