Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

66 thundrchikn tail light brake light nightmare!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update

Well as dave posted we have spoken and spoken some more trying to track this little gremlin down. I have determined using the multimeter, and by using a hot wire, that two wires are giving me a ground in the headlight plug itself. One of them is a smaller maybe 16 ga black or very dark gray wire along the side of the plug, this wire of course i can t find on the schematics. The other wire giving the ground is the small blue and red... i think its got a red stripe.... anyhow its baby blue with a stripe and its the wire that powers the majority if not all of the dash lights. It will give me like .6 ohms on the meter, but it doesnt spark in the presence of a hot "jumper" wire into it; however the black wire makes a significant spark. So since dave informed me that there is not supposed to be a ground in the switch, i decided to try to trace the little black wire. It runs into another harness that heads up the dash to about where the speedo is and then i can t see it without taking out the gauges. If someone had a manual and could somehow let me know where it goes it would definately speed up the process. I am trying to order a manual as quick as my mother or girlfriend will pay with pay pal on ebay since i dont have an account.

Thanks again guys for you time...especially you dave for the step by step... i really appreciate it. Hopefully we ll get this straightened out pretty soon.

*p.s Ive been searching all over the internet looking for similar problems and one guy had toasted his ammeter and when he un hooked it nothing worked... my ammeter doesn t work i dont think; I never see it move the slightest bit. Any chance that could be screwing with it?
    Last edited by zx28; August 19th, 2010, 01:43 AM. Reason: random thought

Comment

progress?

Well to confirm Dave and mines suspicion the problem is with the black/dark gray wire...it looks more gray than black. I just rigged up a bunch of wires with female connectors to the light switch and didn t connnect the switch to the black wire and tada no flickering....however i still have no tails when headlights are on im assuming the the black wire has something to do with the tails. I dont want to have to take the dash apart to just to find out where that wire goes so i have ordered, as of last night, a shop manual in hopes it will have a more detailed schematic; NOT THAT THE ONES POSTED AREN'T GOOD, they are a tremendous help, but i think Dave would agree they dont show all the wires in a few places.

Comment

Good work, Eric! There was no doubt in my mind you would find it.

The diagrams we have were donated by one of our '66 Thunderbird owners. Although there are many pages with lots of great info, they aren't complete. Murphy's Law says that the page Eric needs isn't in there. Sure enough...

So now, without a road map, Eric will do REAL troubleshooting, by tracing wires through plugs. He will find it. - Dave
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Victory!!

Two words ladies and gentlemen. DAVE DARE= the man.Without his help and patience it would have taken me forever. Well Dave told me from the very beginning; he said "you'll find the problem and then be like, well i'll be dang" thats pretty much what happened. If you have been following this thread Dave and i narrowed the problems down to a short in the head light switch using a multimeter and getting 0 ohms. I then traced the wire using the schematics that Dave e mailed me for a 65 t bird. I would test either side of the plug for the short using the meter and would continue until i got to the back of the car. there the wire meets a splice and turns into four or five wires they then head to the bigger plugs on each side of the tails; to the two prong plug that goes to the center tails; and also to the license plate illumination bulb. This little bulb turned out to be my little gremlin i was searching for! Pretty crazy. so for the time being i cut the wire so i can make sure i have no other problems and when i recieve a new light i will rewire it. So i now have all exterior lights working properly with no flickering thanks to Mr Dave aka simplyconnected and the great guys here a squarebirds!

Thanks so much! -Eric

Comment

Fellow Squarebirders, zx28 was born in 1989, which makes him 21. HE is a 'Future Restorer', talking to us right now.

Eric came to squarebirds.org looking for information, but HE fixed his problem (not me). It tickles me that zx28 methodically chased the problem using sound troubleshooting techniques. So, look for another 1966 Thunderbird on the road soon in Tennessee, thanks to Eric.

Some day, I would love to meet you (and your car), Eric. Good Job! Iím glad this repair didnít cost you much money. Even though you bought a Shop Manual, you will refer to it many times in the future. After awhile, you will regard it as an inexpensive (and necessary) investment.

I am impressed by your perseverance and I sense, restoring cars, is in your blood. Please continue learning and restoring cars. - Dave
            My latest project:
            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            X