• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighwayThunder
    Experienced
    • Nov 19 2013

Replacing headlight beam adjustment screw retainers

Hopefully this will help somebody.

The holders for the headlight beam adjustment screws can become brittle with age, break, and fall out. I've experimented with different DIY solutions to the problem. The best one is to spot weld a 10-28 nut to the small retainer attached to the headlight body assembly. The retainer is roughly 2" x 1" with a square hole in the center.

To access the retainer remove the headlight body assembly from the fender with a 1/2" socket: there are two bolts near the top front and one inside the fender above the front turn signal (somewhat difficult to get to). Then remove the two retainer screws. Spot weld the 10-28 nut to the retainer. Reinstall the retainer. Reinstall the body assembly.

Cheers,
    Attached Files
    Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Thanks for the helpful tip but are you sure about that screw size of 10-28? Are you sure it isn't a 10-32 (or 10-24)?
    The only common 28-thread per inch size I know of is, 1/4"-28. But, 1/4"-28 is awfully big (and not very common).

I think the idea Ford had for using plastic nuts was to prevent the screw from backing out with vibration. If the first one lasted 50 years, why not pop another one in the same original hole? A Nyloc nut would do the same but it cannot tolerate heat from welding. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

I broke a couple when swapping the US headlights for ‘drive on the left’ ones (that dip to left).
      I bought some from one of the T-bird part suppliers, ( possibly T-birds by Nick, it was 11 years ago...) but the other suppliers should have these little plastic/nylon deals.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• HighwayThunder
        Experienced
        • Nov 19 2013

Correction

Yes, you are right. It's 1/4"-28.

And yet another one has come loose. I'm weary of having to disassemble, repair, reassemble whatever. I look forward to the day when the car is solidly reliable.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by HighwayThunder; December 16, 2018, 04:41 PM. Reason: add photo
        Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎