X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighwayThunder
    Experienced
    • Nov 19 2013

Brakelight/Turn signal interference

I have the sequential turn signals. They work great except when my foot's on the brake. Then they stop flashing. I know I'll have to search for and find the probable short in the wiring harness. But just in case, is this a problem anyone is familiar with?

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.
  • OUR5T8BIRD
    Experienced
    • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by HighwayThunder
    I have the sequential turn signals. They work great except when my foot's on the brake. Then they stop flashing. I know I'll have to search for and find the probable short in the wiring harness. But just in case, is this a problem anyone is familiar with?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Would assume you are referring to the turn signal indicators on the fenders when you apply the brakes . The signal lights are or should be working even though the indicators are not . This is a common problem on '65 and '66 birds . The flasher is turning by a motor to activate a ' stepping switch " and the signals will keep flashing but the indicators will stay solid until you let go of the brake, especially when all the lights are on as well .

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Martin, I think he was speaking of the rear sequentially blinking tail lights and not the front. He may find a bad ground, or something else going on in the sequential blinker system.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
        Experienced
        • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by YellowRose
        Martin, I think he was speaking of the rear sequentially blinking tail lights and not the front. He may find a bad ground, or something else going on in the sequential blinker system.
        Did not read any mention of rear or front signals not working , only that there were no signals when braking , that is usually from the driver seat . if either front or rears are not working , then it is either the flasher " stepping switch " , or the sequential relay . Guess we need more info.

Hope all is well with you Ray .

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Martin, I is well, and busy working on the 2019 Squarebirds Calendar. It is at the printers and I will be checking with them on Tuesday to see if it is up to snuff for them to print me a proof copy!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
            Experienced
            • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by YellowRose
            Hi Martin, I is well, and busy working on the 2019 Squarebirds Calendar. It is at the printers and I will be checking with them on Tuesday to see if it is up to snuff for them to print me a proof copy!
            Looking forward to seeing it Ray . Brings back some memories of last years entries .

Comment

• HighwayThunder
              Experienced
              • Nov 19 2013

Thank you, OUR5T8BIRD,

Didn't realize it at the time, but it is just the indicators, not the rear lights. If that is a common problem, is there a common solution -- or is it a design flaw?

Cheers,
              Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's not really a design flaw as it worked when the car was new. Most likely just wear and tear of the flasher/stepper unit. The expensive fix is to replace the mechanical sequential unit with a solid state unit. Other than that I'd check all the grounds, especially the one in the trunk for the sequential unit. Others on here have had the same issue and have tried various things without success.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                  Experienced
                  • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by HighwayThunder
                  Thank you, OUR5T8BIRD,

Didn't realize it at the time, but it is just the indicators, not the rear lights. If that is a common problem, is there a common solution -- or is it a design flaw?

Cheers,
                  As John mentioned in previous post, make sure all your grounds are good . Since yours is a '66, the indicator lights are flat, not like the '64 and '65 which had a bracket on the underside , so it sits flat on a painted surface . When new, there was a small ground wire ( black ) attached to the mounting bolts underneath and then grounded on the inner wall as it came through the hole where the power wire came through. Make sure that it is there and properly grounded . Hope this helps .

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎