Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

So, I am unplugging the relay, sticking the jumper wire into the female connectors that have power, if I unplug the relay won't the lights freeze up because the relay is what makes them blink?

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

In order to blink it has to go through the flasher unit in the trunk. The relay only feeds to the turn signals what it gets from the flasher unit through the turn signal switch. It's just a mechanical switch. Check the female connectors in the socket as I indicated with a light or voltmeter. If one of the female connectors flash then jumper that to the connector that doesn't have any power. The way the relay works is that it needs to get 12V on two of the terminals to send power to the third terminal. That can be either solid or off and on. If both terminals have a solid light or 12V with the key and turn signals on then it doesn't matter which one you jumper.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
        Experienced
        • May 4 2017

Well, I attached the jumper wire, and the turn signals did not work at all front, back, fender indicators. Moved the wires around and still nothing, plugged it back in and it worked, but still froze up with accessories on.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
          Experienced
          • May 4 2017

If I remember correctly, the sequential unit in the trunk was operating, but no lights flashing in the rear.

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
            Well, I attached the jumper wire, and the turn signals did not work at all front, back, fender indicators. Moved the wires around and still nothing, plugged it back in and it worked, but still froze up with accessories on.
            I have a similar issue, the fender top indicators blink - until I use the brakes, then they ‘pulsate’
            I put it down to the extra current drain of the brake lights going on?

The same thing happens if the car is idling- when the revs build up they work OK.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
              Experienced
              • May 4 2017

Yeah, I'm cleaning all the grounds, even made 2 more extra ground wires, new alternator, still those pesky fender indicators. I'm trying to wire them directly to the front turn lights, but they still freeze up......go figure! I'll keep working on it.

Comment

• stubbie
                Experienced
                • Jul 7 2011

Not sure if this might help.
                https://www.macsautoparts.com/assets...%20INS%204.pdf or
                http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlim...log_retail.PDF or

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢