Autolite 4100 parts help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autolite 4100 parts help

I'm writing to see if I could get a little advice on where to go for getting a few parts for the Autolite 4100 in my 1965 Thunderbird. According to the exploded diagram (Fig. 25) on p. 10-2 in my shop manual, I need the accelerating pump diaphragm (9B559), return spring 9636, and the screws that hold the accelerating pump cover on (screw -379436-S).

Some gasoline was dripping from the accelerator pump when the car was running, and my guess is that the diaphragm was leaking, allowing the gasoline to drip out. After looking at the diaphragm, I think that is the case.

I can find lots of places online that sell carb parts, but I wanted to see if anyone had a good experience with a knowledgeable place. I'm in New Jersey, if that helps, but I am fine with ordering online. I'm open to ordering an entire rebuild kit if it makes more sense, but I'm not planning on rebuilding the carb as of now and I've never tackled that job before. My local auto part stores were going to need to order all of these items.

Also, if someone knows the right size screw for the accelerating pump cover (screw -379436-S), and that means I can just get some at a hardware store, that would be great. I've got to say, I feel pretty dumb for losing the screws.

The accelerator pump diaphragm is easy to find. It's readily available in the HELP section of Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. The part number is 90082. You will also find a kit there that has a number of different return springs. As for the screws they are #8-32 x 9/16". Lowes or Home Depot should have screws that will work.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks, John. I'm sure I can handle getting the screws and the diaphragm now. I'm just trying to find the kit with the springs.

Comment

John, I just wanted to say thank you again and let you know how things turned out. The hardware store I stopped at had #8-32 screws but not in 9/16. I was able to get a pack of 1/2” and these seem to do the job just fine. The autozone did indeed have the right diaphragm, and it is a shame they couldn’t find it the first time I went there because it would’ve saved me a lot of trouble. Having the part number you supplied made all the difference. I was able to reuse the spring I had after straightening it out with some pliers. Well, the engine is back to purring like it should. It’s gone from undriveable to running great again.

Comment

That's great to hear. Glad I could help.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
          X