X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

1966 front lower turn signal light socket removal

Hey everyone, i need to replace my left lower turn signal light socket, can someone explain how to do this, also can I buy the socket from my local auto parts store, I don'[t care about originality. Thanks!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You can probably use something like this.
    https://www.autozone.com/power-tools...ket/802561_0_0

You only need the contacts with the wires, the insulator and the springs. They should fit inside your original socket. I would clean the inside of the socket with some sandpaper to get rid of any corrosion.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

Do I cut the wire on the back side and pull them through the front, then push the new wires through the front and splice the wires together?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
        Do I cut the wire on the back side and pull them through the front, then push the new wires through the front and splice the wires together?
        That's the way it's done.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

All the components for lamp holders are available at many of our parts vendors. Each part is sold separately (if you like).

Notice that the micarta (plastic) disk that holds the contacts is keyed and designed to float up/dn with the springs.
          Last summer, my cousin worked on his classic U-Haul trailer lights (same thing). He managed to push a bulb in and turn one of the contacts sideways, which grounded it out. Because the wire is so long and skinny (#18), the vehicle's fuse never blew but the wire harness got warm.

So, whenever possible I pull the wires from the back before inserting the bulb. That keeps the wires/contacts/springs straight and it puts no twist on the micarta as the 1157 bulb turns in. Then, I release the wires so the springs push the contacts onto the bulb.

Another 'help' is, when the sockets are bare, solder a ground wire (a pigtail) to the outside of the shell. I do this on front and rear sockets then I screw the pigtail's ring terminal to a solid body ground. My rear lamp holders use 'fingers' that contact aluminum housings. With the pigtail grounds, I never have problems with 'floating grounds' and the 'fingers' only hold the lamp in place regardless of the electrical connection.

Modern sockets ALL have provisions for a separate ground because most lamp housings are plastic. I would buy one of those but I can't find any in the correct diameter and with mounting fingers.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

Thanks for the info, do you recommend that I remove the entire light houseing to do this, or just leave it in the car and do it from under the car?

Comment

• tbirdmike63
              Experienced
              • May 4 2017

I bought the new socket. The plastic part is keyed so am I supposed to pry it out of the housing, and will it work in the original housing? Do I just place it inside the old housing with the spring? Thanks.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                Experienced
                • May 4 2017

Hey everyone, I got the new wiring installed but the left parking light still is not working, both turn signals up front work and the right parking light works but not the left. Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                  Experienced
                  • May 4 2017

I did notice that the white plastic disc turns, it does not lock into place when installed, there are no tabs for it to lock into, is it possible when I turn the bulb in, the plastic disc with the connections moves and it's not getting a proper connection, as to why I am getting a turn signal and not a parking light? Thanks!

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Use a test light to test each contact to see if the parking light and turn signals work. The disc is keyed be so it shouldn't be spinning in the socket. If it is spinning try holding the wires from the back to prevent it from turning while you put the bulb in.

John

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎