X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    Apprentice
    • Dec 21 2011

No heat

Hi Wonder if anyone can explain how the hoses should be for the heat to work. I have a Thunderbird 1966, 390, no AC. How should the hoses sit on and off heater control valve? The heater core is complete. I have owners manual, but it is difficult to see. Best regards and a happy new year Johnny
    Johnny Andersson
    Gothenburg, Sweden

• OUR5T8BIRD
    Experienced
    • Mar 1 2017

Johny: From what I can remember, the only water control valve is on the A/C cars, located at the firewall before entry to the core . On non a/c cars, all you have is doors inside the heater plenum and heat is provide with the fan as doors open . The best place I have found for routing the hoses to the core is in the Electrical schematic book from Osborne . Hope this helps .

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As mentioned there is no heater control valve on non-AC cars. The top hose from the heater core goes to the water pump and the bottom hose to the intake manifold.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Johnny
        Apprentice
        • Dec 21 2011

Thank you for your answers. I realize I have been unclear. The car has previously been equipped with AC but is now disconnected. If I understand you correctly, can I remove the heater control valve that is now available and connect the hoses directly to the heater core? Should I close the vacuum hose that is now connected to the top of the heater control valve? I can add a picture so it becomes clearer but do not know how to do it. Uses Google translate so I hope this will be understandable to you. In Sweden, it can be quite cold in winter so the heat will be needed.
        Johnny Andersson
        Gothenburg, Sweden

Comment

• stubbie
          Experienced
          • Jul 7 2011

You could look at the control valve itself. Sometimes they get clogged up with silt and rust from the engine block especially if only water has been use in the system.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Do you still have the AC control panel in the dash. If so heating is controlled by vacuum whereas non-AC cars are mechanical. The heater plenums are completely different. If you still have the AC control panel I would keep the water valve in place and make sure all your vacuum lines are good. If you bypass the water control valve you may find that you cannot turn the heat off. It's probably ok in the winter time but you may regret it in the summer. Without knowing if a previous owner disconnected anything under the dash it's hard to say whether your heat will work or not. There are numerous vacuum hoses as well as a temperature regulator valve that are responsible for the plenum doors opening and closing and turning the water valve off and on.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Johnny
              Apprentice
              • Dec 21 2011

Hi
              The water control valve is new. I still have the AC control in the dash. Maybe its problem with vacuum? I keep the water control valve. Have major problems in understanding how the hoses to vacuum should go. Have all accessories except cruise control. I´m still unsure how the hoses to and from the water control valve should be.

Johnny
              Johnny Andersson
              Gothenburg, Sweden

Comment

• Johnny
                Apprentice
                • Dec 21 2011

Anyone who knows?
                Johnny Andersson
                Gothenburg, Sweden

Comment

Working...