Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

How long did it take to do that section of rim?
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Cwcb08
      Experienced
      • Oct 11 2016

I dono 40 min? I did the inside and as far around as you see there. I'll finish the remainder and may take Dave's suggestion via PM to dip it after that as well
      2016 FORD F150 XLT 3.5 EB SPORT 302a - 2012 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2012 LEGEND DELUXE V-NOSE - 2008 KAWASAKI ZZR600 - 2008 FORD FOCUS SE - 2007 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2002 ARTIC CAT 500 - 1990 JOHN DEERE 265 - 1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD HARDTOP TOWN

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Yes, I suggest he use Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) outside, with proper eye and hand protection and a garden hose near by.

The whole wheel doesn't need to be submerged if you keep the steel 'wet' with a junk paint brush. Acid works better in warm temps but even in cold, it's fast. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Cwcb08
          Experienced
          • Oct 11 2016

Picked up a regulator and another filter (5$ea on clearance) when I went to get more sand today and a few fittings (6$)

And picked up some speaker wire to put the old radio ( from a previous car ) and new speakers my FIL gave us into the car. I think I'm going to hid the radio in the console/glove box ad use the cars stock antenna
          2016 FORD F150 XLT 3.5 EB SPORT 302a - 2012 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2012 LEGEND DELUXE V-NOSE - 2008 KAWASAKI ZZR600 - 2008 FORD FOCUS SE - 2007 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2002 ARTIC CAT 500 - 1990 JOHN DEERE 265 - 1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD HARDTOP TOWN

Comment

• Cwcb08
            Experienced
            • Oct 11 2016

havent worked on the bird in a little while but i had some time while kiddo had a nap yesterday. i pulled both front seats and removed the carpet.

i was happy to find only surface rust, i also thought i was done repairing/replacing vacuum lines

Now is the time to decide on a replacement carpet colour, I want to use the original Ivy green, or black, the boss wants tan/beige. What do you guys think?

We also haven't decided on what colour to redo the seats yet, or if we are going to keep the original rear covers & just replace the front foam&covers, or replace them all at once so they match, this is also why we haven't settled on a carpet colour.

Decisions, decisions $$$
            Last edited by Cwcb08; March 9, 2017, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Cwcb08
              Experienced
              • Oct 11 2016

Got some literature from my neibour her brother had a '64

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                Experienced
                • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by Cwcb08
                Got some literature from my neibour her brother had a '64

Thunderbird Illustrated was a great quarterly magazine that I believe was sold by subscription only . Too bad it stopped after only two years . Have all of them as well and can be a good reference at times . Nice collectible, and , by the way, good luck with your restoration on the '66 .

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My '66 Hardtop Town Build

There is a set of Thunderbird Illustrated magazines that were donated to us some time ago. Thanks to Dave~simplyconnected, they are now a part of the Technical Resource Library! You can go to the TRL, hit the Ctrl and F button on your keyboard, type in Thunderbird Illustrated and it will take you right to the link. Then you can open or download the .pdf file and peruse through it and enjoy the articles there!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Cwcb08
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 11 2016

Originally posted by YellowRose
                    There is a set of Thunderbird Illustrated magazines that were donated to us some time ago. Thanks to Dave~simplyconnected, they are now a part of the Technical Resource Library! You can go to the TRL, hit the Ctrl and F button on your keyboard, type in Thunderbird Illustrated and it will take you right to the link. Then you can open or download the .pdf file and peruse through it and enjoy the articles there!
                    I'm in a the process of sending the two factory manuals you see there to Dave as .PDF for the TRL

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My '66 Hardtop Town Build

Thanks, Cody! We do have the electrical schematic for the 1964 Tbird in the Wiring Diagrams of the TRL along with all the other early Tbirds. But this booklet looks like it might contain a lot more information for the 1964, as we have for the 1966 Tbird. I cannot make out what the other booklet covers, but I am sure we can put it to use! Thanks again!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Cwcb08
                        Experienced
                        • Oct 11 2016

drove it to work today.

have to figure out why the flashers Indicator is always on faint and flashes with turn signals ( something is back feeding)

hi beam, i need to make sure the bulb for the hi's is installed properly so I have an indicator, it must have fallen out when reinstalling the cluster

low's really need adjusting

admiring it when i got home before putting it back into the garage

also need to address this transmission ( i think ) drip

i need to trace the vacuum lines to the heater valve, when i turn it on i dont get any warm air (i know the valve works i put a vacuum directly to it previously and got heat from the vents)

strangely the fuel gauge works when i first start the car, but after the temp gauge goes up the fuel gauge stops reading, not sire where to start on this one.

not sure how much love the bird will get in the next month, we get the keys to a new house on the 21st and have 5 weeks to renovate and move in, once we move she will get a nice epoxy floor to park on tho, rustoleum epoxysheild - grey with neon green ( also react to black light), glow in the dark & black colour flecks!
                        Last edited by Cwcb08; April 11, 2017, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

...have to figure out why the flashers Indicator is always on faint and flashes with turn signals ( something is back feeding)...

...hi beam, i need to make sure the bulb for the hi's is installed properly so I have an indicator, it must have fallen out when reinstalling the cluster

...strangely the fuel gauge works when i first start the car, but after the temp gauge goes up the fuel gauge stops reading, not sire where to start on this one...
                          Cody, these are classic symptoms of a loose or bad body ground. Your dash bulb is on faintly because voltage is trying to return to ground but the only path it can find is through your lamp.

Start at the battery. Just like modern cars have, install a short #10 wire from negative to the body. If you have a rather heavy metal part, that would be ideal. We use the structure around the radiator (called a 'horse collar' or radiator support) but frame members work as well.

Use a separate #6 stranded wire for your engine ground. Ford used a short copper length that stopped at the water pump. I would rather you terminate your ground at the bell housing or somewhere close to the starter motor because that draws the most current. Leave 'extra' wire between the body and engine for vibration. Also, support the wire before it crosses over so that the connectors don't eventually fail from vibration.

Every bulb socket that is exposed to the weather should be closely inspected for rust and corrosion, like the license plate lamp holders and signal sockets. You want solid connections but no short circuits from water, mud, salt, etc.

Next, check plugs that are exposed. Disconnect them and look at the pins in both halves. - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

On my '66 the ground strap/cable runs from the negative battery post to part of the frame(?) (roughly under the front exhaust port) where the insulation has been stripped from the cable for an inch or so and a soldered tab wrapped around the bared cable and is secured to the frame by a bolt through the tab into the frame.
                            The cable then continue on and from memory bolts the the engine block.
                            It's not as big a cable as I would have used myself but I have had no starting issues.
                            (And I cleaned the area where the strap bolts to the frame and cleaned the bolt with the wire brush wheel on my bench grinder before reinserting the bolt through the tab)

Comment

• scumdog
                              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

drove it to work today.

!
                              It always amazes me how low these big birds sit compared to modern vehicles!

Comment

• Cwcb08
                                Experienced
                                • Oct 11 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                                Cody, these are classic symptoms of a loose or bad body ground. Your dash bulb is on faintly because voltage is trying to return to ground but the only path it can find is through your lamp.

Start at the battery. Just like modern cars have, install a short #10 wire from negative to the body. If you have a rather heavy metal part, that would be ideal. We use the structure around the radiator (called a 'horse collar' or radiator support) but frame members work as well.

Use a separate #6 stranded wire for your engine ground. Ford used a short copper length that stopped at the water pump. I would rather you terminate your ground at the bell housing or somewhere close to the starter motor because that draws the most current. Leave 'extra' wire between the body and engine for vibration. Also, support the wire before it crosses over so that the connectors don't eventually fail from vibration.
                                i remember the stranded braided ground cable from the block to the chassi looking rough, i guess ill replace that as one of the first things

Originally posted by scumdog
                                It always amazes me how low these big birds sit compared to modern vehicles!
                                i know eh, she's a boat but looks small next to the truck and suv

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎