X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighwayThunder
    Experienced
    • Nov 19 2013

Mystery Brake Parts

Just reassembled the drum brakes on my '66 T-bird. There are two orphan parts (see attached photo) -- can't figure out where they go.

The factory manual diagram (attached) calls out an "anti-rattle clip" but doesn't actually show it.

Does anyone know what my mystery part is and where it goes?

Also attached for reference is a photo of my right rear brake assembly.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Attached Files
    Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Here are all the parts to your brakes, front and rear, right down to the rivets that hold your linings to the shoes:

I noticed that your illustration shows the longer secondary shoe on the front. That is wrong, the primary, shorter shoe, goes on the front. Does it make a difference? Absolutely. Your linings are made of different hardness materials and they are different lengths. Normally the linings will be marked, "PRI" or "SEC". Sometimes the edge of the lining will show the marks as well as the number of hardness it is made of. Also, your emergency brake should work better when your car is facing downhill. I hope this helps. - Dave

EDIT: I also notice that your self-adjuster arm spring is mounted wrong. There should be tension on it, always pulling the ratchet arm down. Put the entire spring end (the whole loop) through the hole, not just the hook. Then, test it by pulling on the cable. The arm should pull down when you release the cable.
    Last edited by simplyconnected; May 22, 2015, 07:48 AM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by HighwayThunder
      Just reassembled the drum brakes on my '66 T-bird. There are two orphan parts (see attached photo) -- can't figure out where they go.
      I've never seen those before. Probably from a brake kit used for several brands/ models/ years. You don't use all the parts in kits like that.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I'm with Steve. Those pieces don't look like Ford parts to me.

It might help a lot if you took pictures 'as you go' on your projects and after you're done. I like the picture you took of your brake job because it shows us details and 'where you're at'. It also helps other folks later on, doing the same project.

Richard, you show a Ford manual picture but I'm wondering how such a 'wrong picture' got published!? I don't know of any brake that uses more than two hold-down springs but your picture shows four. We already discussed PRI and SEC shoes and their positions.

I read in one manual that if you get oil on your shoes, they should be changed. I disagree. In some cases the cylinder leaks brake fluid all over the shoes, soaking them. Brakes are designed to get extremely hot. If you bake them or use a propane torch on the linings, that oil or brake fluid comes out. Paper towels and alcohol cleans them up very well after the heat, then they're good as new... - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• HighwayThunder
          Experienced
          • Nov 19 2013

Brake Parts (continued)

Yes, you're right about the shoes being swapped. Thanks for catching that.

When I first got the car I stripped all the parts off it and stored them in marked zip-lock bags. There was one each of the mystery parts in the right and left rear brake zip-locks, so I assume that’s where they came from originally. The shoes and drums had minimal wear so I just reassembled them as shown in the manual (ignoring the extra set of retainer springs shown).

Not too surprising to find the occasional error in technical documentation, then again...

Will hang onto mystery parts just in case.

Cheers,
          Richard
          Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.

Comment

• stubbie
            Experienced
            • Jul 7 2011

Dave if you look at the photo of Richards brake shoes there are holes drilled for a second hold down spring and in your top diagram it shows 2 clips ? part number 2069 and springs 2068, 2066 going through the one side of the backing plate or are my eyes deceiving me.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Yep Stubbie, I see it in both Front and Rear shoes. I've never seen four used in real life.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎