Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '65 Rear End Suspension Problem

Raymond ~ greg1965 says:

"I am having a suspension problem. installed new shocks all around and new leaf springs, but the rear end is still hanging too low. Its lower on one side than the other. Everything on the underside is solid and looks good. The car only has 51000 miles. Any idea what the problem is and what can I do to raise the rear about 3 inches."

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
    "It's Hip To Be Square"
    Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

'65 Rear End Suspension Problem

Raymond, I had the same problem on my '59 Squarebird several years ago. Sitting on a flat surface, the right rear end of the car sat several inches lower than the rest of the car. Putting it up on a lift revealed that a PO had installed the right rear end shackles upside down, or in the reverse of what they should have been. That caused the car to be lower on that right rear side. As soon as he installed that U Bolt shackle in the proper manner, it evened up the car and she has been sitting straight ever since.

I am going to post a couple of pix of a '64 Flairbird rear suspension system. I did not have anything on the '65, but I bet they are identical through 1966. Look at the U Bolt shackles listed as 5705. As you should see, that U Bolt shackle comes down over the axle from above, with the 5736 unit it bolts into underneath the axle. Mine was the other way around, with the unit the U Bolts bolt into on top and the U part of the U Bolt on the bottom. As soon as he saw that, he reversed it and that fixed the problem. Look and see if yours is the same way.. If it is, install it the other way around. Look at the other side to see how it is installed for comparison..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; May 20th, 2015, 11:56 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
    "It's Hip To Be Square"
    Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
    X