X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdhowell
    Apprentice
    • Jun 15 2011

Putting the 64 on a diet.

Also asked on VTCI. Besides the normal aluminum heads intake and radiator. where would you look at shedding a few pounds off the bird. This is a hot rod project not a concourse car. Goal is 3300# curb weight Retaining the FE block, Heat and AC.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Use an alternator instead of a gen/voltage regulator. Install a wide open throttle (WOT) limit switch that will cut out your alt & A/C when racing.

Rack & Pinion steering helps and so do disk brakes. Electric water pumps and electric radiator fans are far more efficient. The pumps give great flow at idle speeds but don't rob excessive power at high rpm. Electric fans only turn on when needed. Hope this helps. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• cdhowell
      Apprentice
      • Jun 15 2011

All good ideas, The type of things I am thinking about is on the lines of coatings instead of insulating mats. Dimple die the x bracing behind the door panels. Trying to keep a near stock appearance and around 425 reliable HP. If I was trying to be really fast I would bought a lighter car. Just want to mess with these kids and their Fart pipes. How would the R&P steering work with the hydraulic wipers?

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I'm rackin' my brain, trying to figure out what 'hydraulic wipers' are. I don't think I have ever heard those two words used together, and what do wipers have to do with steering?

I appreciate lots of hp, but it must be properly controlled so you can unleash maximum delivery at your rear wheels. Too many devices unnecessarily rob power along the way.

Yes, acceleration goes by horsepower:weight, so managing both more efficiently will deliver more bang for your buck. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

The 63's and perhaps another year had wipers that were driven by hyd pressure from the power steering pump. Worked very well and has variable speed too. I think also some Lincolns had this set up also.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

I've heard of master cylinders boosted by power steering pressure, but not wipers. (Seems like an overkill to me.) Regardless, there's plenty of PS flow to go around.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• redstangbob
              Experienced
              • Feb 18 2011

Originally posted by simplyconnected
              I'm rackin' my brain, trying to figure out what 'hydraulic wipers' are. I don't think I have ever heard those two words used together, and what do wipers have to do with steering?

Hydraulic wipers were standard on Thunderbird from 1963 thru 1969. Steering pump pressure went from the pump to the steering box, the return then went to the wiper motor and then back to the pump reservoir. It offered a variable speed of the wiper blades.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Putting the 64 on a diet.

A person could get a Masters Degree in Thunderbird restoration just by reading this Forum on a daily basis. I learn something new every day, and I didn't know about the hydraulic windshield wipers either!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Well, son of a gun... Ford didn't keep that system long, either. Thanks for letting me know, guys.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Yep my lincoln has hydrolic wipers to. The one draw back is don't brake a power sterrin belt in the rain. Been there. ( ah crap can't see or steer)

Comment

• cdhowell
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 15 2011

Glad we got a kick out of the hydraulic wipers. Any thoughts on the coatings or dimple dies? Or other diet ideas
                      LizardSkin reduces heat and noise for your vehicle. LizardSkin Insulation is developed by Mascoat, leader in insulating coatings.

Comment

Diet ...

I don't think you will see 3300 lbs on a 64, but not saying you can't try. Aluminum or better yet magnesium wheels. Lizard Skin, or truck bed liner for the floors. They make very light weight lithium ion batteries for drag cars now, but very pricey. I think you would be money ahead to just use a 4.25 stroker kit on the FE with some good ported heads, headers, and a 235ish @ .050 hyd roller cam and you will be making a very streetable 500+ hp. That should suprise the fart can crowd. Mike

Comment

• cdhowell
                          Apprentice
                          • Jun 15 2011

Thanks, wheels are a good place to save weight. I am also thinking an aluminum center section and drive shaft. Fixed seat mounts instead of electric motors. Maybe convert the windows back to manual. A new compressor instead of the old York that needs rebuilt.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎