engine racing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine racing

thanks for setting my password ray clark.I received my short block back a couple of days ago. The engine was running a little to fast. My mechanic set the rpms at about 475 rpm. When I took it out for the maiden drive I felt it was racing a little about 600 rpms. Now last nite I was playing with the throttle plunger back and forth and it went back to 475 rpms.Now my mechanic which took alot of the old equippment and put it on the new short block.The old engine had about 53000 orginal miles on but it had several cracks in it. I got tired of this within a year. So we drove up to the thunderranch and picked up a new short block from Mr. John Draxler. Took it back to Toledo Ohio where my wife cousin assembled the engine . AS I said when Iam pushing the plunger back and forth the rpms resume at 475 rpm but when Iam driving it pops up to 600 rpms. The same throttle spring was taken off the old car and the gas pedal felt a little stiffer. Now the gas pedal feels very little resistance to it. Do you think its the accelerator spring is loose or what. Funny thing doing it by hand and the plunger pushes right back on the dashpot tip. Thanks Larry Ps would Nappa have this specific spring. Its about 3 inches long and one eng curls about another 3 inches

Are you saying the engine RPM does not return to curb idle when the accelerator linkage is released but does so when operated manually?

If so, the dashpot is either out of adjustment or defective. It's purpose on a automatic trans equipped car is to prevent the throttle blades from slamming shut when coming to a stop preventing the torque converter to drag down the idle too quickly and stall the engine.

Comment

Recently, Richard Hord told me about how his throttle linkage had worn the pivot holes into egg-shapes. This prevented consistant returns of his throttle linkage. He said, when he barely touched the rods, they settled back down right away.

You might inspect your holes for wear. They are easy to drill and sleeve with a small bushing.
      My latest project:
      CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      X