X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWR FE Engine

Hallo from old Germany,

with a spezial question.

As my engine was rebuilt it got everything new, even the pistons.
    My shop installed then some edelbrock parts.

Cam 2106
    Carb CFM 600
    Mani 2105

Now my question :

There should be some increase of power and torque with this combination.

What can i expect? 20hp?
    Edelbrook manuals say nothing about this.

Does someone know more than i do?
    W.H.Paul
    with a friendly hello from good old europe.

Bigger pistons don't necessarily make more horsepower. What pistons did you buy? What compression ratio did your builder try to hit? Aftermarket pistons normally compensate for milling the deck and head by raising the wrist pin hole. The combustion chamber size can be changed by using dished or domed pistons. Did you change the spark advance curve on your distributor? Is your new cam advanced or retarded for your type of service your engine?

Simply changing parts may take you in the wrong direction if your engine builder doesn't know what he is doing. When an engine is new, all the dimensions and clearances have been figured out by the engine engineers, for the type of fuel that will be burned. What is your piston-to-valve clearance? - Dave
    My latest project:
    CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hello Dave,

thanks for this extensive explanation. I do understand the correlation that you explain. Honestly most of your questions I can not answer.

My question was more directed to the edelbrock tuning devices,. Is there at all some power increase to expect. What does edelbrook promise in their advertisement. I could not find anything in that direction.
      W.H.Paul

Comment

Wolfgang, with all due respect, the answer is not simple. It's like asking how much a car costs.
        In order to answer with intelligence I need to know specifics about your engine, what materials were used and how it was set up. Naturally, if you bore the cylinders, the old pistons won't fit so larger pistons must be used. Ok, what pistons were purchased; are they hypereutectic alloy (like modern cars use) or are they standard aluminum (like OEM). Are they dished or domed? If you tell me your compression ratio I can tell you what gasoline octane to use. I asked about piston-to-valve clearance because your cam may not open the valves all the way. In other words, there may be more horsepower in the cam yet to be revealed and unleashed. Cam timing can add more torque at low RPM or high RPM depending on how it is tuned (advanced or retarded). You may have a great intake manifold but it will only help if the proper cam tuning procedures are followed. (For example, high octane gasoline in your lawnmower will not produce more power.)

Edelbrock may advertise an improvement but they cannot possibly know exactly how much. They WILL say that a specific race engine improved horsepower by a certain amount. Your engine is different because it was overhauled with unknown parts. The original compression ratio was 10.5:1. What is it now? I have no clue but your builder should know. Head gaskets come in different thicknesses which directly changes the compression ratio. Which one did he use? How much did he mill off the heads and block deck? You need to ask your engine builder specific questions. - Dave
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

ok, thank you for the explanations.I understand that with my insufficient technical details no body can answer it.
          What remains is the feeling of some more power.
          W.H.Paul

Comment

Working...
          X