Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upper Suspension ( control ) Arm Bushings, Rear

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now Now Anders Don't be talkin like That! I say there has to be a bushing out there for something that can be made to fit. Weather it be extra washers or grind it down or another bolt. But you are going to have to take it all apart. As you said it was a one year wonder (for air bags) aint you glad there not there.............................Later Bill

Comment

Hey Andres,
      Can you show us exactly what part you are looking for? As said before there has to be a way to fix (or make) something that will work! In my home improvement business and working on old cars, I have never left anything undone. Where there is a will there is a way! There is alway a solution!!!
      Richard D. Hord

Comment

Hey Andres,
        Contact partsetal, see if he has, can get or knows where to get what you need! You can send him a Private Message (PM) or email him.

Richard D. Hord
        Last edited by YellowRose; April 26, 2011, 09:58 AM. Reason: Deleted personal information at members request

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Anders - Ugh - that is some bad luck - we are related in some way I can assure you.

Can the frame be drilled with a hole just big enough on the opposite side to get a socket in that area and loosen the nut? Fill it with a rubber grommet until you have a chance to weld in a permanent bolt and seal the hole this winter ????

Another idea - drill about 5 small holes in the frame very close to and toward the nut. Then when the frame metal is drilled away the drill bit will hit the nut and it will be visible. Fill the holes by welding and at the same time it will reattach the nut to the frame???

On the poly bushings you had mentioned. My MG had rubber bushings on the front A-arms and I replaced them when they became warn with poly bushings. Although the suspension on an MG is already stiff I couldn't tell the difference in ride but the handling was greatly improved - don't count those poly bushings out.

Which got me thinking - with all the car guys out there with different cars maybe we can find something from a totally different car that will work. The poly bushings for an MGB front A-arm might be the same as the Tbird bushings in size but cheaper? Ebay items 250367037297 , 360089152328 Maybe one of these sellers would be nice enough to send you the dimensions to see if they are close.

These are the idler arm bushings in the steering for a '60 - are they even close so that you could use them in place of the RP18098 bushings for the links? I'll open the bag and get more precise measurements if they look close enough. I have the '60 so don't know the dimensions of those 18098 bushings on the '58 but I knew I had something that looked similar so dug through my parts boxes until I found them.

Hopefully it will be an exact match and you can drive this summer.

Eric
          registry 5347

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

AND. Another completely different option would be to weld in the perches for 1959-60 rear leaf springs!! I think we all know were I'm going with this ideal.

It's been done before...
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Anders
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by tbird430
              AND. Another completely different option would be to weld in the perches for 1959-60 rear leaf springs!! I think we all know were I'm going with this ideal.

It's been done before...
              What is "perches"? Can´t find it in my dictionary.

Today I cut up a hole in the Cup/bowl that holds the spring in order to reach the nut.
              You know how drill machines can hook up and rotate if they suddenly grab anything, and it sure did here as well. Twice. Unfortunally the space is V E R Y limited as the rear axle , springs and everything is still there, so my position and the way I could hold the machine was a bit odd. First time it grabbed and rotated, I got a smack from it on my left eye that even Mike Tyson would be proud to deliver. Back again after half an hour, feeling quite sorry for myself, I tryed a new grip, only to smash my thumb. It was half the thickness for a minute, but since then, its twice the normal size. And my eye is black, purple and yellow. DeWalt sure sell strong battery powered machines.
              Stuff like that don´t stop us right? Third time lucky!
              Next thing was to find the right tool to grab the bolt. The biggest I have is a 7/8 and it was to small so I bought a 1" wrench. In order to get it in perfectly I needed to cut it and veld it in a different angle. That was all good except it was now to big
              Tomorrow I will buy a 24mm ( as there is quite difficult to find all inch tools here, specially on a Saturday... ) and do it again, and hopefully that will fit, as I don´t want to cut my original tools.
              How I ever will be able to veld the bolt in there I have no idea about. But that´s not todays problems. That question is still a few days away
              I´m done for tonight. Feel like I deserve a big Whisky as a matter of fact.
              To be continued...
              Last edited by Anders; May 14, 2010, 12:51 PM.
              sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Anders,
                If you are using a battery powered drill, set the clutch on the front so it will 'slip' if the drill bit snags. At least the drill motor will cut loose.

If you are using a drill press, rest the piece against the LEFT side of the post (it's in the rear of the drill press). That way, the part cannot bash you in the eye or take you for a ride.

Perch... someting a bird 'sits' on... several birds are resting on their perches. Springs rest in perches, too.

"Whisky"... nectar of the gods for recreational enjoyment, but in your case, it is VERY effective (and necessary) as a pain killer; a medicinal elixir. - Dave
                Last edited by simplyconnected; May 14, 2010, 06:44 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Coral
                  Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

DAVE!

Comment

• scumdog
                    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Uses of whisky...

Originally posted by Coral
                    DAVE!

Well...he's right!!
                    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Coral
                      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by scumdog
                      Well...he's right!!
                      I know, just that I was reading along, and it was informative and serious, then he caught me off-guard with his sparkling humor....

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Coral, that's why I like you so much... I bet if I looked up "sweetheart" in the dictionary, your picture will be right there next to it.
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Coral
                          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Well, Thanks Dave!

Comment

• Dutchbird
                            Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Hi Anders,

Just got back from a week vacation, so have a lot of catching-up to do....
                            (Will reply later to your thread, for now it's just reading and reading)
                            What I can tell you, it was only possible for me back then to buy a complete kit.

Comment

• Anders
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jan 19 2008

Hi Marco,
                              Thank´s for bringing the thread back on track............
                              sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Dutchbird
                                Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Sorry, it's just a very quick reply but I digged the items that came in my kit:

5500 upper control arm bushings
                                5537 lower control arm rear bushings/insulators
                                5548 track bar bushings
                                5555 lower control arm front bushings

Here's a pic of the parts:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎