No announcement yet.

1959 T-Bird Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has your client told you what he has in mind for the drivetrain? Man, you are one awesome car builder.
    1960 HT
    Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
      Hey Keith,
      I was noticing on my "Christine" looks like bumper may be bent on one side I also noticed that, it looks like it sticks, on both sides 1 1/2" past the body I love how you have cut and pulled this one you are working on in with the body. Just looks like a finished product! I may look into doing this on her, if wife ever lets me get started on her!
      Thanks!
      Richard D. Hord
      Richard,

Thanks.

The goal is to keep the original shape and style of the squarebird. The idea is "what would a concept squarebird look like before the bean counters crunched the numbers".

Our hope is that the normal spectator has to scratch his head and think "there is something different about that bird, but I can't put my finger on it". Someday park it next to a original "bird" and really watch the finger pointing from afar.

If money wasn't a issue, It would have been neat to plate the front bumper, that would really throw the unassuming spectator off. But with a painted bumper our hope is the unassuming spectator says "hey look Marge if we just paint our bumper it will look like this one"!

Not only is the bumper narrower as you have pointed out , but it is taller. We added quite bit of metal below the park/turn signal lamps. We also added a little bit of a character line right below the lamp and around to the bumper where it curves up to the top of the bumper.

Good luck on your quest.

Keith
      Last edited by keith; January 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM.
      Keith
      Sedalia, Mo.
      sigpic
      CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• Originally posted by Restifier52 View Post
        Has your client told you what he has in mind for the drivetrain? Man, you are one awesome car builder.
        Thanks,

EFI 351 with a AOD.

Keith
        Keith
        Sedalia, Mo.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by keith View Post
          EFI 351 with a AOD.
          Fabulous choice. Of course, you will need a high pressure fuel pump at the tank and a return line.

Will you use an electronic engine controller (EEC-IV) from an older Ford?

Your work is fabulous, Keith. - Dave
          My latest project:
          CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Originally posted by Restifier52 View Post
            Has your client told you what he has in mind for the drivetrain? Man, you are one awesome car builder.

I think he's customizing this Bird AND it's supposed to be a suprise for his brother-in-law??

-Jon in TX.
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• What color will it be? I imagine black would look very good with the integrated bumper, but also a quite light metallic color.

Thanks for sharing this project with us. Every time there is new pictures, I drewl on my keyboard. The thread have cost me 2 so far...
              sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth"
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
                Fabulous choice. Of course, you will need a high pressure fuel pump at the tank and a return line.

Will you use an electronic engine controller (EEC-IV) from an older Ford?

Your work is fabulous, Keith. - Dave
                Dave,

I can't answer that question. I'm still stuck in the carb era. I guess I will tackle that when we get closer to the engine install.
                Keith
                Sedalia, Mo.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by tbird430 View Post
                  I think he's customizing this Bird AND it's supposed to be a suprise for his brother-in-law??

-Jon in TX.
                  My brother-in-law is a great guy. But I try not to work for family.
                  Keith
                  Sedalia, Mo.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Anders View Post
                    What color will it be? I imagine black would look very good with the integrated bumper, but also a quite light metallic color.

Thanks for sharing this project with us. Every time there is new pictures, I drewl on my keyboard. The thread have cost me 2 so far...
                    He hasn't picked a color yet. It won't be black. He feels black will hide the details.

He and I are headed out to California on Thursday to the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona. Hopefully he will see a color out there that he likes.

Sorry about the keyboards.
                    Keith
                    Sedalia, Mo.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by keith View Post
                      He hasn't picked a color yet. It won't be black. He feels black will hide the details.

He and I are headed out to California on Thursday to the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona. Hopefully he will see a color out there that he likes.

Sorry about the keyboards.
                      Not only am I jealous about your skill. To make it worse you are going to the GNRS.....

Go light metallic. Why do I say light and not medium tone? Itīs the bumper. Medium tone will make it "look painted" more than a light. Light ( silver, and tinted silver, up to gold ), bring maximum form and shape to the car. Just my 2 cents. But I guess this will be a stunner no matter
                      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth"
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Started working on the right rear. Made a inner lower trunk floor extension for lack of a better word.

Before fiberglass and after steel.
                        Attached Files
                        Keith
                        Sedalia, Mo.
                        sigpic

Comment

• I'm still laughing at the top picture. Nice job on the skirt panel, Keith. It looks bone stock. - Dave
                          My latest project:
                          CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• I started cutting the old repairs off and found a spot full of dirt,dust and varmit droppings.

If you can get a vaccum or blow gun into this area and try to get it clean and dry.
                            Attached Files
                            Keith
                            Sedalia, Mo.
                            sigpic

Comment

• I got the 1/4 pretty well trimmed. If you are doing some patch repair or panel replacement yourself I was told of a method to help with distortion when you weld the corners.

I use a hole saw to cut round holes at the corners. Then trim. The weld is then countinous. If you have a square corner the weld gathers the metal up at the intersection it stands up proud which makes it a high spot. Hope that makes since.

One other piece of advise, try to keep your original openings. I left a 1/2" piece to butt weld the panel to. The replacement panels do not have crisp edges or openings.
                              Attached Files
                              Keith
                              Sedalia, Mo.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hey Keith,
                                Thanks for the tips! Keep us posted
                                Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
                                X