Announcement

Collapse

Down for Maintenance

Squarebirds.org will be down for a few hours on Sunday morning (Feb. 24th) just after midnight Eastern Standard Time, for maintenance. Eastern time is Coordinated Universal Time (or UTC-4), for all our international members. - Dave
See more
See less

1959 T-Bird Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's what the finished part looks like. It will take a few more repair panels. I'll weld this one in and then add to it.
    Attached Files
    Keith
    Sedalia, Mo.
    sigpic
    CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• I'm dumbfounded! That's all you need to make your die???
      I got a zillion questions...
      How do you keep the character line straight?
      How much do you feed into the die at once?
      Could you do the same in an arbor press using your dies?
      What gauge metal are you using?
      You simply clamp the new part on and weld it over? Or, are you replacing the original metal?
      If welding over the old fender, what holds the center to the original fender?

I swear, if I tried that, my piece would have dimples and waves all over it. Maybe making the dies with plastic helps. It would need to be mighty hard plastic because the steel part moves during the form process.

Your work just blows me away, Keith. And you make the process look very simple... - Dave
      My latest project:
      CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dave I'll do the best I can to answer you questions. I'll put the answers next to your questions below.

Originally posted by simplyconnected View Post
        I'm dumbfounded! That's all you need to make your die??? I have used this process many times with very good success.

I got a zillion questions...
        How do you keep the character line straight? I vise gripped a piece of metal to control the depth in the 3rd picture.

How much do you feed into the die at once? This piece was fairly easy. 3 passes total. I start the piece in loose and then adjust it tighter each pass.

Could you do the same in an arbor press using your dies? Should work fine as long as your piece doesn't require a deep throat.

What gauge metal are you using? 19 ga. same as the factory.

You simply clamp the new part on and weld it over? Or, are you replacing the original metal? I clamp it on the existing fender then scribe around it. Take it back off and cut out the bad metal and butt weld the new piece in.

If welding over the old fender, what holds the center to the original fender? Answer above, won't be welding over the old metal.

I swear, if I tried that, my piece would have dimples and waves all over it. Maybe making the dies with plastic helps. It would need to be mighty hard plastic because the steel part moves during the form process. You would be surprised what you can do with a little instruction. I spent a season working on a local sprint car team. I noticed the bumper on the 4 wheeler that pushed the race car was made out of plastic. I found out they were scraps from a playground supplier. I went over to the playground assembly plant and asked if I could have some of their scraps. He loaded me up.

Your work just blows me away, Keith. And you make the process look very simple... - Dave
        Thanks Dave.
        Keith
        Sedalia, Mo.
        sigpic

Comment

• Very nice metal ...

bending. I generally try to find pretty straight cars to start with, but the older, and harder to find these cars become the more your skills are going to be required and valued. Very nice work. Mike

Comment

• Got the bad cut out. Made a paper pattern for the new wheel opening. Laid out the metal, marked the cuts and have it pretty close. Couple mores hours and I should be able to start welding it in.
            Attached Files
            Keith
            Sedalia, Mo.
            sigpic

Comment

• Vice gripped to the fender.
              Attached Files
              Keith
              Sedalia, Mo.
              sigpic

Comment

• Wow... You weren't kidding about cutting out the old metal, all that brazing is gone. Beautiful work, Keith. - Dave
                My latest project:
                CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• It won't let me post a blank page... I'm speechless.

Inspiring work!

I love this thread.

Mike
                  E PLURIBUS UNUM; In GOD We Trust; Liberty

Comment

• I got the wheel opening ready to scribe , cut and weld. Hopefully I can get that done this coming week.
                    Attached Files
                    Keith
                    Sedalia, Mo.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Been busy with work,family and Holidays. Got the fender in primer last week. Starting on the right rear quarter inner pieces this week.
                      Attached Files
                      Keith
                      Sedalia, Mo.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Do you have a deadline to meet with this car?

Reason I ask is... I cant wait to see the finished product.
                        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Hey Keith,
                          I love the way the body fits with the bumper, awesome! I can't remember, did you cut the bumper to get it to fit the body?
                          Richard D. Hord
                          sigpic'60 Thunderbird "Christine"
                          Registry #33436

Comment

• Originally posted by Dakota Boy View Post
                            Do you have a deadline to meet with this car?

Reason I ask is... I cant wait to see the finished product.
                            I shooting for the of this year.
                            Keith
                            Sedalia, Mo.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
                              Hey Keith,
                              I love the way the body fits with the bumper, awesome! I can't remember, did you cut the bumper to get it to fit the body?
                              Richard D. Hord
                              Oh yeah, I cut it in many pieces.
                              Keith
                              Sedalia, Mo.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hey Keith,
                                I was noticing on my "Christine" looks like bumper may be bent on one side I also noticed that, it looks like it sticks, on both sides 1 1/2" past the body I love how you have cut and pulled this one you are working on in with the body. Just looks like a finished product! I may look into doing this on her, if wife ever lets me get started on her!
                                Thanks!
                                Richard D. Hord
                                sigpic'60 Thunderbird "Christine"
                                Registry #33436

Comment

Working...
                                X