Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keith
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2010

I didn't post these pictures earlier, because I didn't want to get flamed when I first started. But you guys have been very open to what I've been doing so I will post them.

The owner had always thought the front end loooked higher than the rear. So he asked how we could lower it. Not suspension wise body wise. As you all know it's a unibody and it isn't as simple as pulling the core support rubbers and putting thinner ones in.

To lower the front end I had to cut the inner fenders and the radiator support loose from the frame rails and cut a 1 1/4" out of the rad support and then worked my way back. You will notice a diagonal cut at the rear of the fender that had to be done to accomplish the drop. The front sheetmetal sets 1 1/4" lower in the front. Tons of work and welding to make it happen. It will be another thing no one will notice.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by keith; July 17, 2011, 09:33 PM.
    Keith
    Sedalia, Mo.
    sigpic
    CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• keith
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2010

Pics of the rad support. You can't believe how much different it looks with the nose dropped down. I don't have any pictures of it, don't know why... brain drain I guess.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by keith; July 18, 2011, 12:56 PM.
      Keith
      Sedalia, Mo.
      sigpic

Comment

• Tenshi95
        Apprentice
        • Jul 10 2011

Can't wait to see this finished, amazing work.
        -Robert

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Still amazed at your work Keith. I was on the fence about resto mods years ago but have since come to see that modifications can be just as difficult (if not more so) than a car restored to original condition (and just as nice). I'm not going to throw you under the bus - really enjoying the progress.

Just thinking out loud here but won't the lower front pop the rear edge of the hood up since the hood is mounted to the front of the car? Wonder if you'll need a taller buldge in the hood for the air cleaner/carb area? Awww man --- you already got me hooked on this project.

When (not if) you convert the front brakes to disc I had always read that the Granada spindles lowered the front of the car 1 1/2 inches. I did that disc conversion on my car but didn't notice but maybe 1/2 inch lower front if any. Of course the scarebird brackets are much easier these days but not available when I did my conversion.

Just FYI on the discs.......

Eric
          registry 5347

Comment

• keith
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2010

Eric,

Put the hood on and no problem with the fit. The hood latches are adjustable. Hard to see in the pictures , but the top of the fenders moved too.

I'm still undecided which way to go on the brakes.... Disc yes, conversion don't know yet.

It also is getting a air ride system.

Have you ever noticed things go good for awhile and then it seems like you are never making head way and then one day it all falls together at once and then there is never enough time in the day to keep up. I'm there right now. How long will it last, I don't know but it sure feels good to see some head way. I work on it about 3 nights a week and usually a couple of one day weekends.

I'm also building a car for myself and working on getting a '52 merc ready to paint. Only good thing about this hot weather the grass mowing has stalled.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys.
            Keith
            Sedalia, Mo.
            sigpic

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Know exactly what you mean.....went that way on my disc conversion and now adding A/C to my Tbird - trying to duplicate a dealer installed look. Have another car - doing a body off resto (just finishing the motor on it) - a '60 waiting patiently and all the while restoring my in-laws car to give them as a Bday present - like an Overhaulin' episode - they know nothing about it.

- and - the grass is growing like crazy here. If I ever have the money I'm putting in astro-turf - one less thing......

Ooops - sorry to clog up your post .......

Eric
              Last edited by DKheld; July 19, 2011, 06:41 AM. Reason: too much info - don't want the Overhaual given away..besides this is Keiths post

Comment

• keith
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2010

wow, your brother in law is one lucky dude. Good luck with the build.
                Keith
                Sedalia, Mo.
                sigpic

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by keith
                  Tons of work and welding to make it happen. It will be another thing no one will notice.
                  Great comment!

I´m stunned by your skill! Wish I have 10% of it...
                  sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• keith
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 13 2010

Still hot here. 103 in the shop. But the fan helps. Might break down and turn the a/c on for the weekend.

Started plug welding the new rocker on. I tried out some new clamps. I saw these clamps on a website in England and thought they were pretty neat. Well they made it to Sedalia Mo at a Big Lots store. They work just like a caulking gun. They worked ok, can't really apply a lot of pressure and you can't weld real close to them because of the plastic ends. I would by more if they get some more in. They were $4.00 each. I bought the only 4 they had.
                    Attached Files
                    Keith
                    Sedalia, Mo.
                    sigpic

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

For $4, you can't beat it, Keith. I've put different ends on Vise-Grips but that gets expensive.
                      Originally posted by keith
                      ...Have you ever noticed things go good for awhile and then it seems like you are never making head way and then one day it all falls together at once and then there is never enough time in the day to keep up...
                      Sometimes it feels that way when I'm doing brainless work like cleaning and de-rusting parts, balancing rods/caps/pistons, gapping rings and properly fitting main & rod bearings, too. But once all the parts are ready, it goes just like you said. That's the fun part.

Stay cool, Keith. This heat is brutal. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 3 2011

I'm with Anders! Amazing skilz and no doubt tons of practice to acquire them.

I enjoy all your posts!

BTW 100 degrees here on the outskirts of Baghdad at 11:40 PM (2340 for you military types )but the humidity is only 16 %. And yes, I do have the AC on in my hootch.
                        Jim
                        Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 30 2009

I would pay a pretty sum to have the same skills and experience as this man.
                          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• keith
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Feb 13 2010

Thanks for the kind words.

I got the rest of the rocker plug welded on tonight. Going to start on the front fender opening this weekend.
                            Attached Files
                            Keith
                            Sedalia, Mo.
                            sigpic

Comment

• kuusamon
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 14 2009

appreciate the pictures, keep them coming because I am about to start in that area also.
                              regards,
                              Ron
                              sigpicGreets,
                              Ronald
                              Kuusamo
                              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jun 30 2009

Keith,

do you have any plans for underneath the car?
                                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎