Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Richard, that hood latch trick is slick! It's exactly what he needs to know.

Oh, pardon my ignorance, John. Welcome to Squarebirds. As you can see, we have great members, eager to help our fellow 'birders. Richard is one of the best.
    Last edited by simplyconnected; December 7, 2009, 06:52 PM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Howard Prout
      Experienced
      • Feb 11 2009

Hi John:
      I hope that you have been able to get your hood open one way or the other. I've never tried using a screw driver through the holes in fender wells but I have used Richard's trick of having someone push down on the hood while I pulled the release lever. Once you do get it open, make sure you test the hood release mechanism before you close it again. All you have to do is use a large screw driver, preferably a Robertson or Phillips, and press the side of the blade down in the catch mechansim until it closes around the shaft of the screw driver. Then pull your hood release handle and see if it releases. If not, move the set screw in a bit and try it again. When you are satisfied that both sides are releasing properly you can close your hood knowing that it will open when needed.
      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• jldevlin
        Apprentice
        • Apr 11 2009

Keeping you up to date

I have spent the last hour trying that trick and unfortunatley in my case it does not work....yet.....I will have someone here tomorrow that is more mechanically inclined than my wife who can either guide me to the lever with a big ole screwdriver as I can't budge it much ...the wife does not know what to look for so tomorrow night round 6 .....I do not think the lever is going in far enough (mis adjusted me thinks) to release the latch and I am pretty sure I have pushed it in a few times with the screwdriver but can't swear to it,
        Last edited by jldevlin; December 7, 2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Hey John,
          Also Ray had posted this Of course, if we had known about those two holes, we would not have had to resort to the Good Ole Boy trick we used to open the passenger side latch! Rich made it out of my 6' push broom handle, drilled a hole in the end of it, and put a wood screw in. With the drivers side partially open, he was able to push the stick in, catch that spring loaded latch, pull it to him and spring the hood latch free. Whatever works!
          Richard D. Hord
          Attached Files

Comment

• jldevlin
            Apprentice
            • Apr 11 2009

Back yarder

I was a back yarder and learned all the unwritten tricks to get things done back in th 70s on the 60s cars I could only afford....grin...I sure hope I can pull one out before I have to bring it into a body shop for some cutting in the wheel well, if the adjustment is the problem and the cable housing is in the way of the levers ability to completly go in I may have a problem...but tomorrow we will try again..I got lottsa time

Comment

• Howard Prout
              Experienced
              • Feb 11 2009

I think you have the problem properly analyzed - now how to fix it? You might try getting your srewdriver under the bottom flange of the release mechansism and pushing it up. As I recall when I was reassembling my latch mechanisms after having them apart, it took a bit of fiddling to get them positioned so that the tab on the release level contacted the release trigger. If the lower section is loose it may have dropped down so that the contact you need isn't happening. Once you get the left side released, the other side is a piece of cake. Good luck!

Originally posted by jldevlin
              This is the sad part, I did remove the plug and have been able to push in with a screw driver and hit the lever, it moves all the way in but nothing happens...I do not think the actuator is strijing the release lever...but it could be jammed, I thank you for the pics though, it will give me perspective on what I am doing and how far, I might try to reach in with a long thin screw driver and see if I can fluke a hit on the release mechanism....I do not want to cut and weld the inner wheel well....so i will be trying long and hard....I have it parked for the winter so not rush, i am getting a body shop to paint the car and if I must I can get them to do the body repair

Comment

• jldevlin
                Apprentice
                • Apr 11 2009

Hi Howard

Unfortunatley I did tighted the bolts but I do understand what you mean, a question....I can reach in with a long screw driver and get between the lever and the metal covering of the lower piece, should i pry upward in front which would put downward pressure on the front of the lever forcing the back of the lever upward where hopefully I can get a touch of contact with the release lever...this is what I remember when looking at it while cleaning it up...does this make sence...or would I be better off getting the long screw driver under the entire lever and forcing the whole lever upward by using the entry whole as a pry and pull the screw driver downward forcing the whole lever upward as someone pulls the cable from the drivers seat?

Comment

• Howard Prout
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 11 2009

I don't see how that is going to help , John. I just had a look at mine and I don't see any way to get at the trigger arm from the access hole. I am wondering if there is a possibility that the tab from the release arm is on the wrong side of the trigger. When you pull the hood release cable is there any resistance? If not, then it is likely that the release arm is already passed the trigger. If there is resistance then there might be hope - but I'm not sure what more you can do. I thought about trying to get at the latching mechanism from below but I doubt that is possible. Hopefully someone on the forum has a brilliant idea as to how to solve your problem.

Comment

• jldevlin
                    Apprentice
                    • Apr 11 2009

I Agree

I feel no resistance so I am either past the lever or under it and it is not striking it,I am able to pull the cable from the passengers side through the small opening as the hood is not closed there and doing so resets the lever all the way out so it must be under the actuating lever... I am going to try a few more things but it lookes like a 8" round hole in the upper wheel well will have to be cut to let me unbolt the latch and open it that way...only good thing is no wiring in the way as I cannot disconnect my battery either plus with the aid of a strong flashlight I can see quite clearly whats on the drivers side fender and where I can cut safley....at least I can re weld it in place or screw it in with tabs for emergeny access if needed again int the future

Comment

• jldevlin
                      Apprentice
                      • Apr 11 2009

Your Idea

I am jacking it up tonight and maybe with a long rod I can squeeze it up past the exhaust and hit the trigger from below...

Comment

• DKheld
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Aug 27 2008

Does the hood pin remove by taking loose the nut or does the pin also have to be unscrewed after the nut is removed?

Maybe that little bit of movement would help pop it loose?

Eric
                        registry 5347

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hood Won't Release

Hi John,

I see that others have given you information on how to unlatch that hood and how we did it. But we did not have the problem you seem to have. Ours was a case of the cable lock on the end breaking off and the cable coming loose from the "trigger" that allows you to pull on it and release the latch.

The very LAST thing I would do is cut a hole in the fender. If you have plenty of time and it does NOT have to be opened today, give it some more time for some of our other members to read this and see if they have ever run into this problem before and know how to clear it. Hopefully, someone will come a long who knows the trick to getting it to open.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jldevlin
                            Apprentice
                            • Apr 11 2009

Hi Yellow Rose

It will definatley be a last resort thing, I am going to jack up the car and if I can see the latch I can find something that can reach it and hopefully trigger it open...The car is parked until spring and I am taking things apart a bit at a time and redoing them, just finished under the hood and I can't look at it now...grr lol...but yes...cutting is the last resort

Comment

• jldevlin
                              Apprentice
                              • Apr 11 2009

Kinda like the broom stick fix

With that screw in the broom handle fix in mind I just realized I can see the pin easily that holds down the hood at the latch, If I either mount a hack saw blade to a long handle or don't laugh but a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade attached I can cut through the pin and release the hood, at least no damage to the car and I should be able to find someone with a pin somewhere or get it welded.....but first I will try to get the car high enough for me to get under and spring the latch

Comment

Hey John,
                                After further investigation the drivers side (picture on left) is different from the passenger side (picture on right). Below you will find a picture of the drivers side hood latch. Where my finger is, you need to push that towards firewall. I would have someone hold pressure down on hood until you get lever pushed in (hold pressure on latch) then let them pull up on hood to see if it will release. Keep me informed!!!
                                Richard D. Hord
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Guest; December 8, 2009, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎