My Interior Work On Rose Has Started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
    If the seats have survived for 50 + years, I realy donīt see any problem with replacing them with the same material...
    Exactly my point, Anders. My '55 customline didn't have foam, so why should I put foam in?

When I got this car, the seats were a mess. The Missouri seller didn't keep it up at all. That's why I got it so cheap.
    - Dave
    My latest project:
    CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• My Interior Work On Rose Has Started

Hi Dave,

I talked with my guy this morning at the interior shop. He said that the use of a polyester fibrefill material for roof insulation was not a good idea. He said that when that material gets hot, it compresses, and that is not good.

Regarding the bows, I misunderstood him. They are not glued in. They are held in place by little plastic pieces on the ends, if I understood that correctly.

Now for that jute. It is Jute FELT, not Belt! lol.. It is not the natural stuff that grows in the Phillipines or Indonesia. It is a manufactured product that should be available through any upholstery supply company in your city.

I hope that answers your questions and clears up any confusion I caused by hearing a few things wrong!

I was going to say try this company, but I called them and they do not have Jute Felt in their supply. They are the only upholstery supply company I could find listed when I googled that in your area. But there are a lot more around you. I googled upholstery supply stores Royal Oak, Michigan, as I recall. Good luck!
      Haberman Fabrics‎ - more info ŧ
      905 S Main St, Royal Oak, MI‎ - (248) 541-0010
      Category: Upholstery Fabrics-Retail
      Last edited by YellowRose; August 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM. Reason: Additional information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
      "It's Hip To Be Square"
      Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• I sure appreciate all your time and leg work, Ray. Thank You. Jute Felt makes much better sense. Because it is mainly a synthetic material (rather than vegetable), I imagine it is mainly polyester, but I don't know.

Car interior temperatures are extreme, but we have used polyester and vinyls in cars for ions. Leather is nice, and holds up well, but it tends to be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. A nice soft velour that breathes is my choice, both for the seats and headliner.

I made my own windlace with foam rod that is not rubber, so it won't harden and disintegrate.

We have some trim shops around here. I'll ask them where to get jute felt. I'm sure they'll know.
        Thanks again. - Dave
        My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• My Interior Work On Rose Continues...

When I stopped by to see Danny this afternoon, he had the back seat lean back, as he calls it, out of the car and the seat covers off it. He is replacing those two Tbird panels with new ones that will place the Tbirds in the center of the panel.

He is also doing some reshaping of the rounded top left and right sides and also where the lean back takes that dip in the center and comes out of it. Those are areas where there were slight gaps showing. So he is adding some slight additional padding to fill those areas out so there will not be any gaps showing between the lean back and the "horseshoe" that it fits into.

We also discussed which area he is going to work on next and it looks like it will be the door panels. I did not take any pictures today. I will let you know when I do.
          Last edited by YellowRose; August 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

Comment

• Originally posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
            I+m also confused. I was sure "Jute belt" is the brown stripes or sheet they built up next the the springs in the seat before the foam. Brown in this pic.
            Jute can be bought in belts or stripes about 3 or 4 inches wide, or as a piece of fabric, also called jute burlap, which is what your showing in your picture Anders...

Comment

• My Interior Work On Rose Has Started

This gray manufactured jute felt that Danny uses for roof and under carpet insulation comes in rolls about 3-4 feet wide and is about an inch or more thick. I forgot to get the manufacturers name off it when I was there yesterday. I will try and remember to do so today, if I go over there.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

• My Interior Work On Rose Continues...

Hi!

I visited Rose today and watched as Danny put on the finishing touches to the back seat lean back and the bench seat. The Tbirds have been lowered some, and additional padding put in around the left, center, and right sides where the gaps were before. After looking it over, I said it was missing something and that I thought we should have put two buttons on it instead of one. They both agreed and said they thought so also, but wanted me to see what I thought of it.

So he quickly made four new matching yellow buttons, took some thread, and a longgggg needle about a foot long. Threading the needle and running the thread through the catch on the bottom of the button, he pushed the needle through the fabric, caught it underneath, pulling it through the rest of the way, pulling the button down in place. Applying pressure until he had the button as deep as he wanted it to, he tied it off and then did the other one on the lean back and the two on the bench seat. I think it looks great with two buttons! He also replaced the broken drivers side arm rest with the new one. The last thing he has to do with the back seats, is to put them back in place, making sure there are no more gaps showing and that they both go in properly and seat well. Then it is on to the door panels! Wait til you see those!

http://thunderbirds.fortunecity.com/...rdInterior.htm

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

• Hey Ray,
                  Looking good!!! Keep the pictures coming!
                  Richard D. Hord
                  sigpic'60 Thunderbird "Christine"
                  Registry #33436

Comment

• My Rear Seat Area Is Completed!

Except for cleaning the seat belt webbing, my rear seat work has been completed. The work on the door panels has started now. That should go fairly fast, I would think because it seems a lot less time consuming than working with the rear seats was. I think after the doors are done, he may be working on the dashboard and center console next. I expect that the new carpeting will be the last thing done to the interior. Then, finally, there is the trunk to be redone also. That covering in it is for the pits. That will look much better also when he is finished with it. Here is the web page again. Bookmark it please!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

• The Interior Work On Rose Continues...

I visited Rose today to see how things were coming on the door panels. He was working on the passenger side when I got there. He ran into some problems. First of all, the door panel fell apart when he took the material off it. He had to piece it back together to make a working pattern from it. I probably could have saved him some problems by buying the pre-made panels with the arm rests built in. But he said he could make these himself. The arm rest itself was another problem because of deterioration and age. But he made new ones to match the old ones. There are just three new pictures on the web page, but you will be able to see the old vs the new in raw form as he re-creates one of the panels. Maybe the next time I post, I will be able to show you what the finished passenger side looks like. Or maybe not! It depends on how long it takes him to finish this panel.

Here is the web page.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

• Thanks for your updates Ray, nice to view the progress on Rose!
                        (In my opinion adding those second buttons on the back seat is a bull's eye)

Let the story continue.............

Comment

• simply FAB, Dahlink....!!

Comment

• The Door Panel Work on Rose Continues...

Thank you for the comments! Much appreciated! Here is what I took today. The passenger door panel is being worked on, and he knows he does not have things quite the way he wants it. The arm rest panel on the left side needs to come down into the white about about an inch or two to narrow that area evenly. He still has some stretching and tightening to do. But at least you will see what the door panels will look like. There are some more comments above the pictures as to what has to be done yet to that panel, to get it right, before he starts building the drivers side panel. Here is the web page.

On a personal note, I am going to be out of pocket tomorrow until late. My oldest granddaughter is being operated on tomorrow in Austin. I am getting up early to drive there to be with her and my family as she goes through about a 10 hour operation. Her name is Christy, and she is 23 and has been wheelchair bound all her life due to spina bifida and severe curvature of the spine. But she is the apple of my eye! I am very proud of her. She has learned to drive and we hope to get new wheels for her soon, a mini-van with the proper hand controls. Please put her in your prayers. Thank you.
                            Last edited by YellowRose; August 25th, 2009, 11:42 PM.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

• Here's my prayer, Ray:
                              Lord God in heaven, help and guide the doctors' hands as they operate on your namesake, Christy. Hear my prayer and show the Clark Family Your love at this time when they need You the most. Amen
                              My latest project:

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Prayer

Before I go to bed tonight, I'll Pray to The Lord to be there guiding a hand, & that the operation will be a success.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X