X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My Interior Work On Rose Has Started

Thanks, Jed! And thanks for making the foam sets! I think they are looking good!! After finishing a few minor things in the back section, he will start working on front seats. At least, I think that is his plan, unless he decides to do the door panels next. We haven't talked about which he is going to do next. He has been concentrating on getting the back finished first. There is also the dash pad that needs to be done and he will be doing some work on the center console, and new carpeting. That will probably be the last thing he does. The dash has a small slit in it right where it curves down towards the clock. It looks like someone might have caught it with a knife or a screwdriver. It is not long and he said it can be easily fixed and no one will ever know it was cut. Things are moving along.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks to ya'll for your nice comments. Dave, I will have to ask Danny for the answers to your questions. He told me what he used for the roof insulation and showed it to me. As you can see in the pictures, it is grey. Yes, he said that over the years they have tried different glues on the insulation. He has found that Weldwood contact cement holds the best of all of them and 3M glue for gluing on the new material to forms. I will have to ask him about the bows, and if he used a polyester cloth "undersheet". I do not think he did, because when he explained to me how the work was going to go, he did not say anything about that. I was not there when he put in the headliner. But I will find out and let you know. So far, it is looking good. He is really a master craftsman. He has done dozens and dozens of classic cars over the years. I would love to have some of the cars he showed me pictures of that he has done the interiors on!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Hey Ray,
        Oh my gosh I LOVE it. It is going to look so nice, the yellow and the white looks so go together. And the embroider Thunderbirds are just awesome!!! Keep us informed and keep posting pictures!
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

MAN! Thatīs one Banana & Cream Boat!!!!

Iīm stunned! What did you smoke during service?
          You realy going Hot Rod Ray! Waaaaaaaaaaay to go!!!
          I expect some nice Pinstriping in the end!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Anders; August 15, 2009, 07:42 AM.
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Hey Ray,
            Sorry to keep rambling on. But I can not stop going back and looking at these pictures you posted of Rose's interior. I JUST LOVE IT!!! Tell your upholstery guy he is awesome!!!
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Coral
              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Incredibly beautiful Ray....

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Dave,

I am going to answer your questions here so others can gain from this information. I talked with Joseph at the interior shop. He said they have found that Jute Belt insulation, as he called it, works good for them. They use the same glue on the bows as they do the insulation. Weldwood Contact Cement. They do not use an "undersheet". They don't feel there is a need to if everything is properly installed. He said to make sure you have the headliner centered properly before you start the installation. He said that headliner material that you buy usually has a center line in it. If not, fold it over to find the center line, and mark both ends of your roofline to make sure you are getting it on center. If not, you are going to have problems.

I think I have answered all your questions. If not, please let me know.
                Last edited by YellowRose; August 15, 2009, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ray the interior looks sleek and very distinctive.Danny and the boys did a great job with the piping, the embroidery and will turn a lot of heads.
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• scumdog
                    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Magic interior Ray, very good.

And good to see the step-by-step stuff, a lot of people have no idea how much work goes into a good interior and upholstery job.
                    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
                      ...they have found that Jute Belt insulation, as he called it, works good for them. They use the same glue on the bows as they do the insulation. Weldwood Contact Cement. They do not use an "undersheet"...
                      Ray, sometimes I can be thick. Right now I am confused. Jute is basically hemp (from the Philipines, and usually soaked in kerosene, hence the smell). What is that white stuff they put on your ceiling for insulation? Jute is brown.

You mentioned glue on bows? Why would anyone glue a bow? Headliner has a 'pocket' that the bow slides into. Working the fabric, RH side then LH side, the bow allows the headliner to slide into place, but the bow also holds up the insulation while the headliner hangs down from the bow like a curtain. I hope this makes sense to you.

The question is, what material do they use for roof insulation. If the answer is 'jute belt', I don't know what that means, or where to buy it. Yes, I start at the front-center, and work my way (side to side) back to the backlite apature. It's also important to leave screws in their holes while installing the headliner. They're easy to find, to cut holes throught the headliner for (like visor screws).
                      - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 19 2008

I+m also confused. I was sure "Jute belt" is the brown stripes or sheet they built up next the the springs in the seat before the foam. Brown in this pic.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Anders; August 16, 2009, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Dave and Anders!

I will have to talk with my guys on Monday about this Jute Belt thing.. I asked him what the name of the gray material was they used for the insulation. He said it was Jute. Then he said Jute Belt. Maybe because it comes in a big long roll that is rolled up like you can roll up a belt. This "Jute" is gray! As for any smell, I did not smell any kerosene smell and I was pretty close to it with my nose! An article I was reading said that Jute used to come from Indonesia, but now there is a petrochemical substitute being used.

Now, regarding the bows. I probably got that all screwed up. I read up on how to install a headliner just a few minutes ago, and it did not say anything about gluing in the bows. I will have to ask them again about them and how they go in place because I probably got it wrong.

The first number of pictures were taken as they were taking off the old brown colored insulation, whatever that was. Then further down, there are a series of pictures showing the new gray Jute being put in place. Under that is the new white headliner. It is NOT the original style headliner with the holes in it that came out of the car and should have been used. I forgot to order it! So instead of making him wait for several days for it to come in I told him to use what he usually uses for headliners on all the cars he has done in the past. So he did. The only white material up there is the new headliner.

What that material is under the seats I do not know, but I can ask him also about that.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

I read that jute and hemp are different fibers, both grown in Monsoon regions. Both are biodegradable because they are vegetable (which may explain why mice like it).

The deal with hemp is, it dry rots. Sailors paint it with tar to stop moisture. That explains why hemp rope was soaked in kerosene, to keep moisture out.

I think I would prefer using a polyester fiberfill material for headliner insulation. Ray, would you please ask your guys if that is appropriate? I want to stay away from anything that rots (including cotton and flax for headliner pockets). Same thing for the seats. I don't want something that wicks. It needs to breathe and give up moisture. BTW, I'm not using foam rubber, but batting and a lot more springs.

You'll laugh, but I found an indoor-outdoor carpet (artificial grass) that I will use on my floor steel. I can see through this stuff, it won't promote mildew, it can't rot, and no I don't have to mow it. -Home Depot. All kidding aside, it's plastic and should work well for both sound and heat insulation. - Dave
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jan 19 2008

If the seats have survived for 50 + years, I realy donīt see any problem with replacing them with the same material, as I doubt I will drive Ruth year 2060.....

Comment

• YellowRose
                                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Dave,

I will ask about using polyester fibrefill material. I should see them tomorrow. I see you are going to use artificial grass on your floor steel. At least you wont have to figure out how to get a lawnmower in there to cut it! lol.. Mine already has the aluminum floor covering under the carpeting to cut down on heat and noise.

I will get back with you after I see them tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎