No announcement yet.

Updates!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tips, guys. Got it off today, then rebuilt the power steering control valve. That thing was DIRTY! This whole 'cleaning up the engine bay and front suspension' is taking a bit longer than I thought. Oh well, she'll look great when I'm done.
    Jimmy
    1960 HT in work

Comment

I think your questions have been answered, but I will anyway.

I'd actually like to lower mine a bit, more up front. If Rusty's is down about 2", that looks good to me. I don't think there will be an issue with clearances at a 1.5" drop.

I've still got drums on my car and no clearance issues with the wheels and the sway bar.

As fas as speedo error, my wheel & tire combo is close to stock. They were 27.6"-28.1" in dia. according to Coker and my 235/55R17's are 27.1" according to the Discount Tire calculator. The typical 14" radial tires (215/75R14) are 26.7", so they are going to be off more.

So, using that calculator to approximate the original diameter, my car's speedo is off only 1-2 MPH at highway speeds.

I bought my wheels through Discount Tire and couldn't have been happier with the service or price. Mine are Boyd Coddington's and I had them tell me what size to get so that I could hold them responsible if they didn't fit.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

Update...

Hey all! Well, it's been a while since I've posted here but work and school has been keeping me busy. The other day I finally got the rest of the parts that I needed to completely rebuild my front end. I will start on that tomorrow, just have to borrow a spring compressor. Shouldn't take too long, but I am going to clean and repaint everything. That should be fun, getting rid of 40-50 years of sand and road grime! Hahahaha! Anyway, my initial timeline of getting her road ready is going to have to pushed back a bit. Can't afford to buy as many parts as I would like, not to mention paint and interior.

Seems a couple of weeks ago the wife and I rode down to Daytona for Bike Week. While we were there, we walked into the Harley dealer looking for her a cowboy hat. Ended up trading in my Yamaha for a 2008 Fatboy. Silly me. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! But my new bike is well worth it, been waiting for this for YEARS! Now I have her. But, like I said, this is going to delay the Bird getting on the road. It's all good, I'll just take more time and make sure I don't miss anything. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice!
        Jimmy
        1960 HT in work

Comment

Jimmy well now a Fatboy and Florida, Priceless Congrats and hope you find time to bring the 60HT back in time for cruisin this year
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

It is SUCH a good feeling . . . Pushing on the pedal and KNOWING you are going to stop . . . In a straight line.

Ford cut some corners (obviously) with these cars . . . But the brakes (a safety issue) CaMon !!! They have the same shoe size as a 57 and a Sq/Bird weighs 1300 lbs more !!! And, if you talk to someone with a 55-57, they don't stop very well either.

Converting to 11" discs is the way to go (to keep te original "look") then just run later 14" wheels w/stock whl covers.
            John Byers
            1960 Convertible (Orig owner)
            sigpic

Comment

A couple things !!!

What I meant was (in my last post) that if originality was an issue, going with the smaller rotors was the way. So you could run 14" wheels.

For those who have gone with larger . . . All the better !!! I didn't mean to say someone who ran the larger brakes did the wrong thing. I like the non-OE wheels some of the guys on here are running. Rusty, I do like the baby moons on the 58 better than the 65. Ha Ha !!
              When I had the 65 Landau like yours I actually thought about running Vectors (General Lee wheels), but color matched with the emberglow rather than black. Oh and TA Radials of course.

And finally . . . Congrats on the 08 Fatboy!! You'll LOVE it ! I have a 2000 Heritage that I purchased new in late 99. It has been a GREAT bike!! Never a hiccup. I have 203 cams in it and a Thunder header. It goes good. My only advise would be . . . Don't lower it. I did mine and it ruined it !! I have since put it back to stock height.
              Other n that . . . Enjoy !!!
              John Byers
              1960 Convertible (Orig owner)
              sigpic

Comment

Jimmy
                Lookin Good
                How do you keep everythin looking so neat

Comment

Originally posted by Framer_guru View Post
                  ... just have to borrow a spring compressor ...
                  Actually, you don't I rented one when I did my front end and found that it was nearly impossible to get it through the A arm and onto the spring high enough to do any good. The spring is up inside a deep 'tube' at the top which makes using a compressor pretty hard.

The good news is the procedure outlined in the shop manual using a floor jack to lower the A arm and release the spring works very well. Piece of cake.

I have a gallery of pics that may help on my suspension rebuild if you're interested. Check it out here.
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

Doug, off-subject, but I tried to PM you and got this message....Thanks for the help earlier...
                    1. dgs has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.
                    sigpic
                    Mike Lemmon
                    '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

Front end so far

Hey all! Well, if anyone has looked at the newest pics, (there aren't really that many) you'll see I got the a-arms off. DGS, you were right, I didn't need the spring compressor. GOod thing I forgot about it, huh? Just used a couple of my floor jacks and no problem. Getting the lower ball joint loose was a bit more of a hassle but it's off. Now I just have to finish cleaning up the arms, remove the old ball joints and install the new ones. Sounds like I've got a fun weekend ahead of me! Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Bob, now as to how I keep everything neat? HAHAHAHAHA! Man, you haven't seen my garage! I am always cleaning that sucker! Actually, it's fairly small so when I need to work on the car I have to pull it out into the driveway. I usually do all of my work on the ground or my work bench, and move my ginder/wire wheel into the driveway to keep the dust down. I clean all my parts, paint them up and put them in my rear closet in the car hole on my shelves until I am ready to put everything together. Right now it's pretty crowded in there. Need to finish putting the rest of the front end together so I can put in my engine! Man, I can't WAIT until I fire her up! I'll video it for all of you! Until then, I'll post more pics of my progress.

Thanks for everyone's help. Oh, and I absolutely LOVE my Fatboy! That big girl rides SO much smoother than the Yamaha FZ6 I had. Now I just need pipes, air cleaner, Corbin seat, etc. Hahahahahha! It never stops!
                      Jimmy
                      1960 HT in work

Comment

Working...
                      X