Rear Wheel Bearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Wheel Bearing

I think the driver-side rear wheel bearing is making some noise on my '58. The procedure detailed in the shop manual for removing the rear wheel bearing looks pretty involved. Is there any way to re-pack the bearing without removing it from the axle? Thanks!

Big Dave
    I have never heard of anyway to repack the bearings without taking them off,if you go the trouble of taking them off just replace them you most likley go to NAPA and get them
    Bob M

Comment

Those brgs are lubricated by the gear oil. Once they go, they need to be replaced. Actually, I've changed those before (8 3/4 rear end on a Dodge Charger-very similar). They're not that bad.
      Change the seal too !!!!!!!!!!
      John Byers
      1960 Convertible (Orig owner)
      sigpic

Comment

Just my opinion,but if it were me I would farm that job out.I believe those bearings are pressed on the axle.
        George 60HT-Flame Red

Comment

Forgive me!!!
          That is correct. I left out that "detail" I pulled the axles out of the Dodge, brought them into work, and one of the techs pressed new brgs on for me.
          It was a slam dunk.
          John Byers
          1960 Convertible (Orig owner)
          sigpic

Comment

I wondered about the gear oil. I added some gear oil and it seems to have quieted the noise. Thanks for the recommendation on farming the job out. I'll stop thinking about putting a wrench to this problem. My ignorance, curiosity and ambition almost got the better of me (again).

Comment

Dave I don't know how many times I have taken on a job and then half way thru it I kicked myself.Anyway removing the axles is no big deal.You can do what John suggested and pull the axles and take them to a shop and have the bearings pressed on.
              George 60HT-Flame Red

Comment

Working...
              X