Transmission Lever Grommet and Leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Lever Grommet and Leak

This concerns the transmission gear selector lever on a COM.

1. The grommet on the gear selector that goes to the transmission linkage rod is deteriorated. As a result, my shift indicator is sloppy by 1/2" either way in all gears (except Park).

Has anyone been able to repair the Grommet assembly????

2. The same gear selector is leaking fluid where it goes into the side of the transmission.

Can I get an "O Ring" for that, and -- can I replace it without dropping the transmission???
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Are you talking about the grommet on the shift lever under the car? If so, I forceably removed mine to discover that there is not a replcement for it (according to my parts source). What I did was I went to a hardware store (OSH) and found a plastic bushing that was a hair to big for it. I rubbed it on some fine sandpaper until it tightly squeezed on. Then I put a metal washer on each side, slipped the rod in place and a cotter pin. It fits snug at that end now, MUCH better that before. It cost me maybe $2 and a little time, but I still get a little wobble at the shift lever. Sorry, I can't help you with the leak.

Comment

That was the Grommet that I'm speaking of. And you are correct -- no replacement. If nothing else, I'll take your advice and try the hardware store for the bushing. Thanks.

Yes, the leak is something that I hope someone can give me some advice on. Hope it doesn't involve a tranny drop. I'm hesitant to try an additive unless it's a last resort.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

FEFRANCO My shift indicator on my 59 is also sloppy after you replaced the grommet did it fix the sloppy indicator Bob M
        sigpic
        Bob M
        59 Bird
        72 Charger

Comment

I replaced the Grommet

Bob:

I just finished replacing the grommet. It cut down the sloppy indicator by about 1/2, but still is sloppy. The remaining slop HAS TO be coming from the shift lever on the inside of the car.

I found a slotted grommet like the one in the lever, but this grommet was slightly larger diameter (I'll get to that in a minute). Remove the existing grommet (or what's left of it) with a screw driver. What you have is one washer that is captive by another washer-T-bushing with a small ridge. I used a dremel to just slightly grind the dimple that holds the two of them together. Then cut the new grommet so that it fits tightly into the lever, reinstall the washer-T-bushing and the washer on the other side. It is a perfect fit, and there is absolutely no play in the linkage.

Looking underneath, I think that I can live with the small drips coming from the trans lever O-Ring seal. I don't think that it can be changed without a transmission drop -- I could be wrong.
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Bird Nest has them

The Bird nest Lists this as P/n 7929S Seal, Trans shift shaft fits All Cresi & c-6 Tyranny's.
            $7.95 Ea.

I was just sitting here looking at there new catalog.
            George (Papa of 9)
            1960 H/T :rolleyes:
            Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
            sigpic

Comment

I have available the grommet,sleeve reproduction kit for 16.00

Mike

Comment

George:

I see that in their catalog now -- thanks. I still don't think that the seal can be replaced without lowering the tranny. The selector lever is only about 2 inches away from the tunnel, and the shaft is longer than that I think.

Mike:

Do you have a photo of your grommet/sleeve kit?
                Bart
                1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
                X