Car Broke Down First Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Broke Down First Drive

If there is nothing wrong with the battery, it should take a charge again. If there is a bad cell(s), or something else wrong with it, like that battery post, that prevents it from being charged, they will should be able to tell you that when they check it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
    "It's Hip To Be Square"
    Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Ok so it is worth checking then right?

Even though the generator doesn't seem to be charging it, but the mechanic charged it so it is worth checking out?

I also wonder if it could be belt. Mechanic was incompetent so couldn't screwed up when putting that on.

Comment

Certainly, it is worth having Autozone, or Advanced Auto or someone else check the battery to see if there is something wrong with it, especially since they do not charge you for that. That is the battery that was in the car when you bought it, right? As John said, if it has a damaged cell(s), or other problems, it will not take a charge and needs to be replaced. If the battery checks out good, then a good mechanic needs to tighten that belt for you, because if it is slipping, it may not be charging the battery.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

Comment

• So I was interrupted while attempting this and ran out of time. But can you tell me which bolts to unscrew on this? The two on top seem very easy to do, the side one is harder to reach.

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...Gpv-R7zzBj5fEM

Drove the car a few blocks before this and this time the light did not come on. The squealing sound also was gone. Is it possible that the belt slipped back into place when the car was started up? I looked and the belt didn't seem askew.

Comment

Do NOT unscrew the bolts that hold the Negative or Positive battery cable to the battery post connector. Just work with the battery connector on the posts.

To slip the battery connection off the posts, just unscrew the nut on the end of the battery connector far enough out that that, hopefully, it will come off the post when you pull up on it. That nut is what tighten and locks the battery cable and connector to the post. Loosen that nut a lot and try and pull the connector on the post up. If loose enough, it should come up off the post. To loosen it up a bit more, you might have to put a flat blade screwdriver between the two sides of the clamp and turn the screwdriver so it forces the clamp apart a bit more to lift the connector off the post. Remove the negative post connector first. Then do the same thing to the positive side.

As for a battery clamp down, usually you will see a piece of metal across the battery with a wingnut on each side holding a bar in place that goes down underneath the battery and hooks in a hole. The same thing applies to both sides of the battery. This is the battery hold down piece that keeps the battery in place, and from moving around. It looks like this in the picture. You will see that the ends of it are hooked so they lock into a hole on the bottom of the metal battery holder.

As for the belt slipping back in place, it is possible, but someone who knows how to properly tighten that belt, needs to check and see if it is loose. Usually, the is an adjustment slot on the generator mounting bracket that allows a mechanic to loosen or tighten the belt. Most mechanics should know how to set the proper tension on a drive belt.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by YellowRose; August 17th, 2018, 09:20 AM. Reason: Additional Pic

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowRose View Post
              I don't know if those little holes are plugged up properly."
              There should be rubber plugs covering those holes. However they have nothing to do with water getting in.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Comment

• That is good to know. So you think I should physically climb into the trunk and have it shut and someone pour water on top so I can literally look for the leak. This might be the only way lol. Sounds scary.

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
                There should be rubber plugs covering those holes. However they have nothing to do with water getting in.

John

Comment

• It looks to me like the weatherstripping may have been put in improperly. It looks uneven according to the wear marks where it meets the trunk flange. It's definitely not the factory weatherstripping.

John

Comment

Kirsten, John just said what I was thinking about the trunk weatherstripping... Take a look at what you have in the trunk in that bag that looks like it might have a new trunk weatherstrip in it. Pull out what is in there, and see if it is, and compare it to what is installed on the trunk lid... You may find that you have the correct weatherstripping in on hand. If not, then you can get the real stuff from one of our vendors..

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

• Yes I believe what I have is the trunk weatherstripping. To remove the old one what do you do, just yank it to peel away?

That'll be a project for another day.

I think that indent/lip on the weatherstripping is supposed to be facing inward toward the trunk interior not the way it is set in some places currently.

Comment

• Here are the instructions:
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Awesome!

Yes, he had it facing the wrong way in some places. The photos I took clearly shows it facing the opposite direction it is supposed to. At least that's how I am interpreting this - am I right about that?

Comment

• I can't say for sure if it's facing the right direction. However it looks like the corners are glued too far inward and aren't sealing correctly. As it says in the instructions you need to use strips of masking tape every few inches to hold it in place first and check the fit before it's glued.

John

Comment

• Amongst other things check that the channel that the trunk weatherstrip fits into has not rusted through underneath where it is not obvious, a flashlight and mirror might assist with this.

Of course if youíre taking out the weatherstrip you will see if thereís any rust holes!

If you do have the weatherstrip out I would advise painting the channel with a rust kill/preventative paint and let it dry before fitting the new weatherstrip.
                              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Just a (maybe silly) question, but why did they glue the seal to the trunk lid, and not to the trunk flange itself? At least on my Bird the seal is glued to the trunk flange. (i bought it like this). If its water tight, i have no idea, because my Bird never sees rain.
                                sigpicFrank
                                1958 T-Bird "Trov„o Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
                                Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

Working...
                                X