Window Crank Knob Removal and Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Crank Knob Removal and Installation

Any tips for replacing the white knob on the window crank handle?
    Last edited by Wudro; July 20th, 2019, 08:29 PM.
    SquareBird in BirdCity

Since you aren't going to use it again just take a chisel to it and crack it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Is the knob itself serviceable? I've replaced the entire crank just to get a new knob, but it was lose and the edges sharp. I had to press the knob on tighter, and then sand the its edges. - Dean

Comment

The white knob is melted. The other three appear in decent shape. I figured I would polish the handles and order 4-New knobs for $34, see how that works. If not, I can always buy complete new ones. Someone somewhere else suggested to drop the knob in boiling water for 7 minutes, then press them on. Iíll receive them today and attempt the damaged one first.
        SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

Got em done guys. I used a Dremel to cut a slot in the knob, then pried it open and took out the old shaft. Sprayed some Lithium Grease on both parts, then reinstalled the new shaft with a little wavy washer it came with. I didnít want to risk boiling them or heating them up and damaging the pretty, new white knobs. Not sure if itís due to the 110 degree weather here in AZ, but I was able to press them on by hand, with a lot of force, and they turned out great! The chrome cleaned up nice too. Saved me some cash from buying 4-new handles. Not a major component in the rebuilding process of a Classic Car, but another small victory that will look good when itís finished.
          SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

Working...
          X