• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

430 water pump fiasco

Hello,
    The water pump on my 60 J-bird had a loose bearing. No one will replace/rebuild these without a core. I didn't want to take the one off the car right away, so I bought a junky pump on Ebay for $35. I sent it out to a rebuilder (shall remain nameless) recommended on this site. The pump came back and after about 5 hours remove/replace all seemed OK - no leaks.

However, after first test drive the temperature pegged the needle and by the time I made it home it was 235 per IR thermometer. Something definitely wrong!

I had sent the original pump out to the same rebuilder and just put it in last night (another 5 hour remove/replace). I took the back off the questionable pump and found the impeller (plastic) was not secured to the shaft. No wonder it didn't cool.

So now after running the latest pump - cooling is fine - never gets over about 170. But here's the worst - it is leaking at the back plate! No way to fix without taking it out again. The rebuilder is going to send me a new back plate gasket which should fix things, and agreed to redo this 1st pump for free. I am really PO'ed and not sure if I will take them up on it.

Questions:
    Does anyone have a source for a good rebuilt MEL pump P/N B9SZ 8501-A, casting #5751588? (pic attached) Same part on 59-60 Lincoln.
    I'd like to buy one without a core if possible, or a recommendation for another rebuilder - maybe Lincolnland?

Thanks,
    John
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

I posted earlier on this topic before the rebuild. OX1 had some suggestions. Henry - I tried to PM you but it says you have too many messages in your mailbox. Could you PM me? I'd like to talk about your experiences with the 61+ Lincoln pumps on Ebay. Or anyone else who has tried them?

John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

• Derbird
      • Jul 10 2016

https://www.amazon.ca/Cardone-58-430.../dp/B000CIJ2CM
      this a cardone rebuilt pump on amazon in Canada. Out of stock though.
      As of last year Cardone was rebuilding these pumps

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

It's been some years ago, but NAPA found one for me. I did have to send my original back in as a core.

I started not too, but I figured SOMEONE else with a 430cid would need one later down the road...

I do not remember the brand name of the rebuilder. As I said, this was over 10 yrs ago.
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• orwin
          1960 Tbird
          • Jun 17 2008

UPDATE - both pumps from the rebuilder were bad. My attempt to seal the backplate failed.

My local radiator shop "A-Len", had no problem testing the pumps. He sealed all the openings and pressurized w/30 lb of air. The back plates were leaking, so he re-did both and tested them. I'm not sure exactly what he used but the bird is back on the road with no leaks.

BTW with fan shroud and 5-blade fan, it runs right about 170 - midpoint of the temp gauge.

Thanks to all.

John
          John Orwin
          1960 HT 430
          VTCI #11290
          Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

• OX1
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 10 2016

I got a 462 E-bay pump. Have not installed yet, as I only got it for if/when I do AC, as
            the 3rd pulley for AC pump is easily sourced for 462 water pump. Even though pulley is pressed on,
            t lines up with original pulleys on stock bird 430. Pulleys are an inch or so smaller dia, so they
            will spin a bit faster, which I'm sure they did for larger 462 and I'm sure most Lincolns had AC.

Pics of pump and 3rd AC pulley

https://luxjo.supermotors.net/59%20T...PUMP%20PULLEY/
            59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎