Heater leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater leaking

While cleaning the cooling circuit, I had the engine ran for a while with the heater on (never use it so far for extended periods) and I had some water leaking from the heater big black box inside the car.
    I read the manual and found some explanaations as how it works and I guess I have to remove the blower in the engine compartment to see what is going on inside. Probably some hose leaking.
    Am I right and will see anything in there from there.

Eric

Either the heater core is leaking, the water valve is leaking or the seal between the valve and the core. You will have to remove the plenum cover inside the car to see where the problem is. Removing the blower probably won't show you where the leak is.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Glad I have not finished to re install the wiper motor !

Comment

Anybody can explain how to remove the plenum cover so I can save time and avoid mistakes.

Comment

The manual says to only remove the heater control trim panel and lower dash panel on the passenger side. I like to also remove the glove box door, glove box liner and radio. I feel it gives me better access without having to crawl under the dash. You also have to remove the defroster ducts and the vent cable. Then you can remove the bolts that hold the plenum cover and pull it off. You will see the heater core with the water valve attached.

John

Comment

The glove box is already out. That's a good point.
            I removed the 4 nuts holding the plenum cover inside the engine bay, both defroster ducts. Did not removed the heater control trim panel (the round instrument with the heater levers?) and the vent cable (as I don't see any cable in my way for now)
            But cover stay in place. Shaking it around a bit seem not effective. Should I insist?
            Also the 4 nuts were all on passenger side. Did not saw any on driver side.

What will I find once the cover start to come off. Is there any guts that will remain connected, like heater core or valve or everything will come easy with the cover?

John, like this happened with the head lights, I think I don't have the same manual as yours. I don't see any disassembling instructions in mine...

Eric

Comment

Eric,

You do not have to remove anything in the engine bay except the hoses if you are going to remove the core. You are not removing the entire box. You are only removing the cover. There are five small bolts that hold the cover to the main box behind the dash. You have the same manual I have. Page 12-22 explains it.

John

Comment

OK I misunderstood the "cover" for the whole box and the engine bay nuts for the cover nuts...

Comment

Here is the culprit. It's been leaking for a while as the inside of the cover is rusted.
                  I assume I need to remove the rest now. Is this valve can be repaired? I left my manuals at the office for the evening...
                  Somebody applied some white gasket that turned quite hard and britle. What can I use here to close the cover? Domestic Silicon maybe?

Comment

There's a small diaphragm inside the valve that's most likely leaking. Repairing them is really hit and miss. Most people just replace it with the external valve kit that goes in the engine compartment.

John

Comment

I removed the valve and core. Assuming the valve is the white part in the picture below, top right.
                      I can not see anything inside like a diaphragm.
                      I guess the leak comes from the rubber gasket that this valve is resting against. Tried blowing in the valve and it's tight as far as I can tell...

Comment

there is no need for that white silicon gunk on the plenum cover. Somebody has been in there at some point in the past, and they didn't know what they were doing. The black rubber gasket between the heater core and the silver pipe needs to be replaced.
                        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Hello Dakota
                          I am right now sourcing this rubber gasket
                          So you're suggesting to use noting in place of this white junk?

Comment

It appears you have an external valve in the engine compartment and just the replacement tube on the core.

John

Comment

John you're right, again...
                              I now understand how it works and used to work. It looks like I just have to replace the mall rubber.

Comment

Working...
                              X