No announcement yet.

Alternator wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it, and the price. Will order from rockauto. I really appreciate the help ! I have alot learn about this car as I preserve it.

Comment

Alternator Remy 20239 ordered

Comment

I want to say something regarding the C.R.A.P. alternator mounting brackets they sell. First of all, a number of people have bought them and used them on their Squarebirds There are or were 3 models that he was making back around 2012 when I posted his ad in the Advertisements Forum. The 1 piece was for a Ford alternator only. The other two will accommodate either a Ford or a GM Alternator. If you decide to go the C.R.A.P. route, which a good number have done so and recommended, before you buy one, talk with Larry Gueths or call him, at 815-634-8216 to be sure you order the correct one that will fit on your block. Some blocks have an extra hole drilled in them that can be used to mount that bracket to the engine. Some do not, but one of his mounting kits accommodates that. So inspect your block for the mounting holes before you order so you know which one to get, and talk with him regarding any updates I may not know about. Yes, you can make your own mounting bracket if you have the skill to do so, and perhaps save some money. Or you might find other mounting brackets that may or may not work. These, we know do work. Here is the link in the Advertisements Forum. I should call him to see if I need to update it.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...unting-bracket

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator.....
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

I converted to an alternator long ago, but still suffer from belt drag. I think the best solution is to maintain the 2 belt pulley system the generator had.

And so-anyone know a part number for an aluminum 2 belt pulley fitting a 10SI alternator? It must accept the Ford belts to the crank - Dean

Comment

If you can't do a double sheave, look for an 'under drive' pulley. A larger size pulley grabs the belt much better because it has more belt surface area and the larger diameter is easier to turn. Ford and GM use the same pulleys. I'm running a stamped Chevy pulley on my 6G in the Galaxie. Works well.
            You guys with one-wire alternators cannot use an under drive pulley because low rpms will stop your alt from producing power. - Dave
            My latest project:
            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I believe my pulley is a 3/8 wide with a diameter of 3 inches, and is mounted on the lower side of engine.

Comment

John;

What size fuse should be installed with the 80 amp alternator ?

Comment

I would think a 100 amp fuse would be good. Maybe Dave can chime in on that. I also used a starter cable to go from the alternator to the solenoid. Better heavier than too light.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Comment

What size cable maybe 6 Ga ?

Comment

You should be safe with 6 gauge. The reason I like starter cables is because they already have the correct ends on them and they come in a variety of sizes. You can probably get away with 8 gauge but I prefer a little heavier cable.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Comment

My alternator will be here by next week, and then will start install. I have been studying the 59 wiring diagram , and see just a few addition things to do. I may have to ask for some more help,

Comment

Go with 4 gauge or battery cable wires that John prescribes. I used 8 gauge and when the alternator diodes failed, everything fused instead of blowing the fuse. The GEN light bulb became the fuse. These alternators are hit and miss as far as longevity is concerned. Dean

Comment

#6 AWG can handle it. Remember, safe ampacity through wire depends on three factors; wire gauge, wire length and the duty cycle (how long current will flow through it and how fast the insulation can shed heat). In a pinch, I have used bare #14 copper wire in place of a 100-amp fuse but the length was only two inches. Fuses have one purpose, to protect the wire.

Dean's #8 wire melted before blowing a fuse but we don't know the ampacity of the fuse or how long his wire was. We also don't know the ampacity output of his battery or if all the cells were alive and well.

Alternator diodes and rectifiers can go bad at any time, whether the car is running or not. Sometimes they open, sometimes they short circuit. So ALL alternators need fuse protection. A short causes the battery to deliver all of its current as fast as possible through the resistance of the battery, wire (and fuse). #6 wire can handle hundreds of amps for a short period of time. So, a healthy car battery should blow a 150-amp fuse before harming a few feet of #6 wire under short circuit conditions. The blown fuse should isolate the alternator but still allow your ignition system to hobble home under battery power.

Incandescent light bulbs are amazing creatures that automatically increase resistance as they heat up. They actually change and regulate their resistance. For instance, a household 100-watt/120-volt lamp measures 11.3-ohms of resistance on a meter. But when 115-volts are applied to the bulb, only 9/10ths-amps pass through which means the real resistance is 132-ohms. With full and constant voltage applied, the current 'levels off' for thousands of hours. Some old vacuum tube circuits used light bulbs as a variable resistor but the light was a byproduct and shaded. A lamp is never used as a fuse. - Dave
                            My latest project:
                            CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Yes, plan on #6 AWG . The alternator is 80 amps so what size fuse 100Amp, 150Amp ? Or what about a circuit breaker ?

Comment

Here's my thoughts: Assuming your 80 Amp alternator puts out 80 amps @ 5000 RPM or so, go with a 100 Amp fuse. - Dean

Comment

Working...
                                X