Alternator wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator wiring

What wiring must change to accept the new alternator ? Does anyone have a good wiring diagram ?

It depends on what alternator you are using; internal or external voltage regulator; Ford or GM. The Technical Resource Library has lots of info on converting to an alternator. The link is under my signature as well as on the main forum page. When you get into the TRL hit CTRL-F and search for alternator.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

I was looking at a 1965 new ford thunderbird alternator. I have a 60 Bird

Comment

I recommend going with a 3 wire internally regulated alternator instead. They are much easier to wire and you don't need to buy a new voltage regulator to match.

John

Comment

Yes, John ; I see the 3 wire alternator with internal regulator is the best way to go. I have been studying the wiring diagram for the 59 bird on TRL. My question to you is what happens to the old voltage regulator , and wiring. Is the old voltage regulator just remove and wiring capped of ? My bird is a 60.

Comment

I gut the inside and leave the shell in place so it still looks original and I keep the old wires connected. As for the wiring you need to use the yellow-black wire that goes to the GEN light. I usually just connect the indicator light wire on the alternator to the original yellow generator wire. The other two generator wires can just be taped up.

John
            Last edited by jopizz; July 6th, 2019, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
              I gut the inside and leave the shell in place so it still looks original and I keep the old wires connected. As for the wiring you need to use the yellow-black wire that goes to the GEN light. I usually just connect the indicator light wire on the alternator to the original yellow generator wire. The other two generator wires can just be taped up.
              John
              I second John's post. The small yellow/black wire (originally found on the ARM terminal of your VR) is used on the new alternator to sense the key is turned on. This is important. When it is connected, your GEN light will work exactly as you expect: When the key is first turned on, the GEN light shines then it goes out when the engine turns. If you throw an alternator belt, the GEN light shines. Equally important, when the key is off, the alternator shuts off as the sense wire stops any current drain on your battery.

Upgrade your power wire (from the alternator to the starter solenoid) to match the output current of your new alt. I also make sure my ground wire is upgraded to 'modern standards'. Meaning, my daily driver has a separate body ground wire (#10 AWG) and a separate engine ground (I use #6 AWG) bolted to my bell housing, close to the starter motor. This is to ensure your starting current doesn't go through drivetrain bearings.

Some of my restorer buddies gut their VR then put two relays inside to run decent headlights. The power wire is already there and it may be fused. This lightens the load on the headlight switch as well. - Dave
              My latest project:
              CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

The yellow/black wire is connected in the new picture as LG/R. It IS the sense wire. - Dave
                My latest project:
                CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Okay , So i'm searching for 3/8 V Belt pulley 3 G 80 -130Amp Alternator. Not finding much it looks like everything is one wire, and 6G. Anyone have a alternator link ?

Comment

I prefer to use a GM alternator, either a 10SI or a 12SI. They come in all different amps.

John

Comment

How are you going to mount it. Are you going to use the C.R.A.P. bracket or fabricate your own. I don't recommend the cheap universal brackets.

John

Comment

CRAP brackets will have to be installed.

Comment

The C.R.A.P. bracket can be used with both Ford and GM alternators.

John

Comment

Sadly , I'm just finding one wire alternators 10SI & 12SI finding one wire. Help ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bentmore60 View Post
                              Sadly , I'm just finding one wire alternators 10SI & 12SI finding one wire. Help ?
                              All 10SI and 12SI alternators are three wire. One large BAT terminal and two small spade terminals on the edge. The description may say single wire but they are three wire.

John

gm alternator.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X