Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

Garage Lifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Lifts

I am getting too old to slither under the car on jack stands. I'm looking at the BendPak MD-6XP mid-rise scissors lift. It is more $ but has a better reputation than Harbor Freight, et. al.
    I have 9' ceilings so height will not be a problem. Does anyone have one of these or share other experiences?

Thanks,
    John
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590

I don't know anything about this particular lift but you have to be careful. Squarebirds have very specific lifting points. You should not use the outer rocker flange like most modern vehicles.

John

lifting points.jpg
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

You are right - I have 4 4"x6" pieces of 1/4" steel plates that I put under the lifting points when using jack stands. I have those pictures from the shop manual and also the frame diagrams from the TRL. I am doing a lot of checking to make sure that the lift "pads" will line up with the jacking locations.

BTW, I'm still on the fence with lifts. There is another one that is priced about the same but looks like a better style: Twin Busch Low-rise Scissors Lift 6600 lbs. https://www.twinbusch.com/product_in...?products_id=8

John
      John Orwin
      1960 HT 430
      VTCI #11290
      Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

Lift your car from frame members. You can use the area under the front shock absorbers because the suspension arms are bolted directly to the front subframe. The leaf springs in the rear are also directly bolted to the subframe. I normally place my jack stands directly under the frame members on all my cars.

Be extremely careful when using '2-post' lifts. First, find the center of gravity of whatever you lift, then use that as the mid-point.
        There are certain items that I won't buy at HF, electrical components are on my list and so are items my life depends on. A car lift is one of them because nobody is going to China to sue them due to failure.
        My latest project:
        CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        X