No announcement yet.

YooHoo! I get my Square Bird Tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YooHoo! I get my Square Bird Tomorrow!

I've never driven one, I've never sat in one........do you think I'll hate it???? I don't think so! I am really excited. It's a Black on Black/White 58 Auto with 38K on the clock from Eastern Oregon. I'm not much on cars older than the 60's, but these things look flat ***, bad ***! (sorry for the expletives, it's just what comes to mind!) I dig that it has a "modern" transmission (meaning 3 speed auto) & it comes with a FE engine! I am really excited to take it out on my backroads & run it "bootleg" style as Pennsylvanian takes 3-4 weeks to issue antique plates. I hope I made a good purchase, it's always a roll of the dice buying on the internet! Wish me luck!

Congratulations Tim. Remember, it's a 61 year old car. Try and get used the handling before you go "bootlegging"(high speeds). Make sure everything is working good especially the Brakes. Let us know how you go.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

Originally posted by bird 60 View Post
      Congratulations Tim. Remember, it's a 61 year old car. Try and get used the handling before you go "bootlegging"(high speeds). Make sure everything is working good especially the Brakes. Let us know how you go.

Chris......From OZ.
      Thanks Chris, I will be careful. I am sure it's only a single brake reservoir, I had one of those fail before, pretty scary. The PO said handling changed greatly for the better when he installed radials 20 years ago.

Comment

Tim I agree with Chris, it is 61 years young and possibly still drum brakes if NOT converted radials or not.
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

And if radials are 20 years old, don't trust them too much.
          Congratulations on your buy and you should be pleased. I too got mines witout ever approaching one and I loved driving it on Alp's passes, so it should be easy on your backyard roads !
          Last edited by Eric S; June 24th, 2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

My first modification was remove and re-bolt the driver's seat to the "optional" holes. The factory bolts are tact welded on and require a good beating which destroys them. My brother's 1964 I drove in High School had the swing away steering column. Now I know why. - Dean

Comment

does that mean you can move the seat back a little further?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric S View Post
                And if radials are 20 years old, don't trust them too much.
                Congratulations on your buy and you should be pleased. I too got mines witout ever approaching one and I loved driving it on Alp's passes, so it should be easy on your backyard roads !

Edit : why don't it accept the word "Alp's P A S S E S"?
                Our censor filter was configured wrong. It should accept it now.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Tire dealerships tell you not to drive your car with tires that are 6 years or more older... So you may want to check the date on the back side of your tires. Some tire manufacturers are now putting that information on the front of the tire. You should find a 4 digit code, like 3801. The 38=week it was built. The 01=2001, the year it was built. If you see a tire with a year date that is 97 or 86, get them off your car. Because they go back to 1997 or 1986, or whatever that year date is...

As for moving the drivers seat back, on my Squarebird, it was just a matter of unbolting the bolts and if they were in the back holes, slide the seat back and move it to the front holes... That will give you more room behind the steering wheel.... and hardly no room for anyone sitting behind you....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator.....
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Thanks guys, I am aware of the problems with old tires. I did get my car today & love it. It's very nice in my book. I did get it out & put some miles on it. It seemed like every mile it drove better. It has good pickup. I can see why so many people died in the 60's, the brakes are terrible, I will go through them. I would post photos but I don't know how. Thanks, Tim

Comment

Tim, when you joined the Forum you did not own a Tbird yet, so when John ~ jopizz processed your membership application, that information was not part of the Welcome posted to you in the New Members Welcoming. But here is how one can post pictures on our Forum. For just posting pix of your new-to-you Tbird, you can put them in the Our Rides Forum. For technical pix of work being done on the car, post in the appropriate Sub-Forum for your Tbird. Here is how to post pix. We always enjoy seeing pictures of our new users Tbird. As a Paid Member if you have anything you want to share with us you can post attachments directly on our server. To become one, have a PayPal account and click on the DONATE TO SITE link under the Tbird logo. It will take you to the PayPal link. You have two options, pay through PayPal or pay by Debit or Credit Card. If you do not have a PayPal account, see the Membership Benefits & Webspace Information post in the Announcements section of the Forum on how to pay by check. To post attachments as an unpaid user you can create an account on one of the free picture hosting websites, upload your pictures of your Tbird there and post the link to them in Our Rides Forum. Or you can send them to me, Ray Clark ~ YellowRose, John Pizzi ~ jopizz, or Dave Dare, our webmaster ~ simplyconnected and we will post them for you.

The Terminator.....
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

Originally posted by Ratboy View Post
                        does that mean you can move the seat back a little further?
                        Yes, and you can increase the recline by adjusting that nut under the seatback. Today's average woman now weighs as much as the 1960's average man. (With apologies). - Dean

Comment

When I bought my '58, it was packed into storage and I couldn't get the door open far enough to get in. When I finally got it home a month later I could only barely get behind the wheel. I was conjuring plates or something to move the seat back when I read on this excellent forum about the extra holes in the seat tracks. It's only about an inck but it makes a heck of a difference. That was the first nugget of info I picked up on this site.

Comment

Timmy Brown ~ alnukem, sent me pix of his New-To-Him Raven Black 1958 Tbirds, Here is one of them, and you will find the rest of them in the Our Rides Forum!

The Terminator.....

Comment

Working...
                            X