Horn Contacts Gap - Column Won't Adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Contacts Gap - Column Won't Adjust

My horn is working except the contacts under the steering wheel. Too great of gap.. I did the search and several have said the two phillips screws under the dash, loosen then adjust, but I do that and i cannot budge the column with all my might. It won't shift up or down. Under the hood you can see how the bottom seems fixed just above the steering box. Any ideas welcome as I would love to have a working horn. Thank you!!

The outer column is not fixed. It is moveable by loosening the two large phillips screws. I'm not sure why yours is not moving. As you can see there are long slots to allow for adjustment. That's the only way to close the gap. Loosen the screws more or try using more force. It has to move unless a previous owner did some sort of modification.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

I'm looking again.. Under the hood I see that outside column has a grease zerk and it appears from the open gap that the shift linkage (automatic) is at the top of the gap meaning it could slide up.. Is that stock? If not maybe that is fixing it down..
      I assume the wiring for the turnsignals moves with it (I see the terminals under the dash on the column..)
      I ordered a shop manual from Larry's but they sent me the wrong one (full sized Ford book - They discovered they had been sending that one out accidentally so 3-weeks before I get the right one.

Comment

Quick question - There's a cover on the upper back of the part behind the selector indicator, perhaps to access the lamp. Does it pop off? Maybe I can see in there if there is a clamp or something the prior owner did..

Comment

You can look at the shop manual for free here:
          http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...al/index1.html

Your shift linkage sounds like the original and yes the entire outer column will slide up. The turn signal wires will move with it.

John

Comment

As you can see by the diagram the only thing holding the outer column in place are the two long phillips screws. And yes that small plate will pry off to get to the bulb.

John
            steering column.jpg

Comment

Here's the access plate to get to that bulb. Once open the barrel slides up.

Comment

I did it a few months ago and nothing hold it except the 2 large screws on the bottom of dash and everything will slide along with it.
                On mine I still have to get an help to tighten the screws while I hold the column up as for now I don't have the horn functionning when pressing the right part of the "horn switch". We did it before but I have to make sure it is all the way up as still no horn on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by p38fighter View Post
                  Here's the access plate to get to that bulb. Once open the barrel slides up.
                  Be very careful with the screw. I can't imagine what it would take to locate that screw if it falls in the column.- Dean

Comment

Dean good advice on " Be very careful with the screw " for sure
                    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

I don't have the feeling that Burbach wants to change the bulb at all. His concern is to loosen the column. I can be wrong.

Comment

Still no luck. I even took the bolts out completely and then tried to pry up the outer sleeve from the bottom where it meets the gear-box.. No luck.. Next I'll pull the wheel off when I have time as perhaps there's a clamp or snap ring in the way.. Have no idea why it won't budge. My Studebaker Hawk was almost identical here and it slid up or down on it's own when those screws were loosened.

Comment

Working...
                        X