Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

Eric's 1960 T-Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric S
    replied
    I just did the channel by gluing a felt in it. Was looking at the vent window rubber and it's dry and brittle but the price they sell replacement is insane.
    Since I don't play with rivets on the channel (I just glued felt in it and I am pleased with the result), I think I will give up with it too...

Leave a comment:

• Ratboy
    replied
    it's rubber with a metal strip in it and it gets riveted on. And you should do it at the same time you do your channel for your window. It's a real challenge to rivet all that stuff together. I hope you figure out a good way to do it because I bought my vent rubber afterwards I'm not quite sure how to put it on. So its still on the shelf

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    Is 58-60 Thunderbird Vent Window at Division Bar Weatherstrip B214550A well made of rubber and goes on the rear post of the vent window and receive the rear part of the vent window when it's closed ?
    Is it riveted?

They are selling the rubber for the vent window at 85-112$. Are they serious?
    Last edited by Eric S; October 14th, 2019, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    I have 2 cars. Car #1 has no nipple and none of those I have can screw in + I don't see any thread in the steering column. So I wanted to take off the one on car #2 and ID the thread size or at least see how it works but the nipple's body is round and I can't unscrew it...

Leave a comment:

• bird 60
    replied
    Hi Eric, I'm assuming that the nipple is blocked, & you want to clean or replace it. Multi grips is the only thing that I can think of.

Chris.....From OZ.

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    How do we remove the grease nipple on the steering column. It's round !?

Leave a comment:

• partsetal
    replied
    I've been able to add a temporary extension to the standard pop rivet gun to rivet these window channels. I cut a 1/4" piece of brake line tubing, and after putting the pop rivet by itself into the drilled hole, slipped the piece of tubing over the pop rivet nail and then placed the rivet gun over the nail. The nail is long enough so that it can still be gripped by the gun. Works for a few rivets and then it deforms and you have to make another.
    Carl

Leave a comment:

• p38fighter
    replied
    Here's a rivet stand I made out of 3/8 bar and a piece of 2X2 I had. You insert the rivets (supplied when you buy the channel) through the channel so it pokes out the back side of the frame. Set the channel on the stand with the rivet head on the stand top. Then you peen it over with a hammer and tool. The tool (seen in the background) comes out of a leather goods rivet set. Really cheap at the craft store. You need a helper to do it this way.

Leave a comment:

• Ratboy
    replied
    I glued the felt in the rears and replaced the rails in the front. The riveting of the front rails was a tough one for me. It's a tight and shallow fit for a standard rivet gun. Maybe someone has some advise on that aspect, I wasn't super pleased with my results

Leave a comment:

• Dakota Boy
    replied
    you need to replace the front rails

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    On the front, is it easy to replace the whole rail (rivets) or gluing felt is just easier and cheaper and works well?

Leave a comment:

• Ratboy
    replied
    You can get the felt from most Bird suppliers. Got mine from Birdnest, Contact cement worked great

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric S View Post
    Anybody knows if the door's REAR rails came lined with some kind of material from the factory?

Eric
    Yes, they were lined with felt.

John

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    Anybody knows if the door's REAR rails came lined with some kind of material from the factory?

Eric

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    I would like to keep original rails and glue in some material. Unless working on rear rails stop the noise of the windows in the rails...

Something different how do we remove the grease nipple on the steering column. It's round !?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eric S; September 27th, 2019, 10:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X