No announcement yet.

Eric's 1960 T-Bird

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What springs are you talking about. The only springs are on the emergency brake cable inside the drum and they don't come off.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• I saw the springs in the drum when cleaned them. That's different.
      There I have 2 springs left that I removed from the brake line but not sure of where exactly.
      I can see 2 notches on the cables plate and 2 holes on the frame, I reproduced those features and made an attempt at drawing springs !
      Springs seems to fit there but they would pull on the brakes rather than assisting hand brake release as we would expect them.
      I found an EBay picture of a spring that looks a bit like mine.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Those springs hold the brake cables to the rear end to take up the slack. They do not go on the equalizer bracket.

John

emergency brake springs.jpg
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Thank you. That's where I first remember where they were going but did not found any location. Leave the notches and the holes on the other side, mystery...

Comment

• Springs are back in place !
            However I did noticed the hand brake was loose and the junction with the plate against the firewall was loose as the welding points are broken (Make me think about Dave's note about doing job ourselves. I had a mechanic to help me 2 months ago and he worked on the steering, whether he broke it, saw it but did not say, never saw it broken I will never know.)
            Anyway my question is what is the normal fitting between the hand brake's housing and this plate as the welding are poorly made and not Ford's for sure. Was it welded or do I need (an)other part(s)

On the steering wheel adjustment. As I said before I gave up with 1st adjustment per the manual but on the second with Steering Shaft Bearing Adjuster, When screwed IN until first resistance felt, the screw can not be turned anymore if you move a few s the steering wheel so I made an adjustment I felt good but nothing to do with manual. I just adjusted by feel moving the steering wheel and the screws trying to feel in the screwdriver the best I could do.
            Now I would like to test the steering with wheels connected. Car is a Power Assisted Steering so I need to connect back the valve but don't want to try with engine running and using the PAS (which still has no ATF).
            Since I may need to disconnect again the valve should anything need to be modified, I don't want to lock it all the way. Can I just screw the nut finger tight and try the steering usings jacks under the car to relieve the wieght on the wheels, so I can make sure that it goes all the way smoothly from R to L?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Eric S; January 7th, 2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X