Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Yep, that's what I saw. These upper bushings should have inner sleeves that are RECESSED into the urethane. I don't know why I'm looking at rust on new bushings. The first bushing on the left is COCKED with the left deeper than the right. It looks like the urethane is protruding OUT from the left side as evidenced by that line of rust on the left only.
    That inner sleeve should be tucked INSIDE the urethane so far that I cannot see it.

Here's the other bushing. This inner sleeve looks like it has SEPARATED from the urethane. Again, both sleeves should be inside the urethane, not sticking out of the flange end:

In normal assembly, when the large washer is installed, the bolt pushes the urethane AND the sleeve into the pivot shaft (no more than 1/8" or .125"). Therefore, the inner sleeve's teeth tighten on that one side between the shaft and the bolt. Then, the other side works the same. They do not equalize the shaft difference, left to right.

HOWEVER, if urethane is loose and not vulcanized inside the shell and sleeve, the upper shaft might be tight all day long but the arm and urethane would rotate and move on the inner sleeve. That is NOT good. It will wear out quickly. The idea is for the arm to flex the urethane in its range of motion.

I'm still trying to figure out how the inner sleeve separated from the urethane. Anyway, THAT is where your .40" is. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• OX1
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by Eric S
      Yes the bushings are against the shoulder (not the flange) and can not be driven anymore.
      I have about .40" more to do to close over the inner shaft.
      The tube I used rubs against the urethane. It can not be much more smaller.
      Then in my opinion, the shoulder was not manufactured
      in the correct location (or the overall bushing length is short).

The other dimensions that could be off, on other parts,
      don't add up to anywhere near .4".
      59-430-HT

Comment

• OX1
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected

I'm still trying to figure out how the inner sleeve separated from the urethane. Anyway, THAT is where your .40" is. - Dave
        Could be a combo I guess, outer metal sleeve
        on bushing does not appear to be pressed in
        enough compared to everything else I've seen.
        59-430-HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Here is a good example of how your upper arm bushings should look. Notice how much urethane sticks out of the flange end and how deep the inner sleeve sits inside of it.

Also notice the picture on the left. Urethane is 'squirting' out around the inner sleeve. I know it's hard to see but it proves that the sleeve was not shoved into the urethane but rather the whole piece was vulcanized in a mold process.

If the steel was meant to slide on the urethane then lubrication would be necessary. That is not the case. - Dave
          Attached Files

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Eric S
            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Again the bushings are straight. I can see that from the inner side where they are parallel with the stamped hole edges in the arm.
            From the outside, it may look crooked but that is because the flange is bent and gives this visual feeling.

I told also before that the inner sleeve moved when I tried to press the bushing on the shoulder while holding the shaft in a vise.
            This is done and understood.
            The principle of functionning with urethane vulcanised on both sleeves and arm floating around on urethane is also understood.

However the 0.400" gap was there before the inner sleeves moved out.
            One can see that the inner sleeve is recessed in the Urethane on several pictures on the outside and on the inside, both urethane and inner sleeve are more or less even exactly like the new bushing picture. (Of course not where the inner sleeve popped out).

As for the rust, I can only said that those are probably made in India or anywhere else in Asia with poor quality steel and rust proofing treatment.

OX1
            Then in my opinion, the shoulder was not manufactured
            in the correct location (or the overall bushing length is short).

Overall outer sleeve length is the same as on originals bushings ...

Now on Rockautos.com

and

Dimensions seems to match my parts...
            Last edited by Eric S; November 6, 2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• OX1
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 10 2016

Then the only thing left is the inner toothed tube, vs the outer tube placement and kind of what I think Dave is insinuating,
              that some how either they started out wrong, or slipped and are now in the wrong spot.

There are really not that many pieces to this puzzle, really only 4 critical dimensions.
              59-430-HT

Comment

• Eric S
                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

OX1

On the arm where the inner sleeve has not been abused and moved
                From bushing face to bushing face I have 8.03"
                Urethane protrudes roughly .150+.200 = .350
                Inner sleeves are slightly inside so maybe closer to .325
                Anyway 8.03 - .35 = 7.71"
                Missing +/-.30" to get to the shaft's shoulders at 7.40

From your figures I came to 7.953" from bushing face to bushing face and you measured 7.48-7.50 on shaft.
                So difference in opening + difference in shaft adds up to almost .20" between your parts and mine.

With such allowances in those parts, there is no way to adjust anything??

Comment

• OX1
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 10 2016

OX1

On the arm where the inner sleeve has not been abused and moved
                  From bushing face to bushing face I have 8.03"
                  Urethane protrudes roughly .150+.200 = .350
                  Inner sleeves are slightly inside so maybe closer to .325
                  Anyway 8.03 - .35 = 7.71"
                  Missing +/-.30" to get to the shaft's shoulders at 7.40

From your figures I came to 7.953" from bushing face to bushing face and you measured 7.48-7.50 on shaft.
                  So difference in opening + difference in shaft adds up to almost .20" between your parts and mine.

With such allowances in those parts, there is no way to adjust anything??
                  Do you think inner sleeve with teeth is in the wrong spot vs rest of bushing then?
                  59-430-HT

Comment

• Eric S
                    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

On this arm I think the inner sleeve is NOT misplaced.
                    From the ends it looks ok and there is no signs of movement.
                    New bushings are on their way...

Comment

• OX1
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 10 2016

On this arm I think the inner sleeve is NOT misplaced.
                      From the ends it looks ok and there is no signs of movement.
                      New bushings are on their way...
                      Good to hear, hopefully you get some relief.
                      I know some of these issues can drive you crazy sometimes.
                      59-430-HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Eric, I have some suggestions that I hope you follow when you install the new bushings.

For the upper control arm:
                        • Do not hold the pivot shaft in a vise. Let it freely 'float' while the bushings are installed.
                        • Do not put pressure on the inner sleeves or on the urethane. That means, no pounding, no vise or press pressure on the inner sleeve, ever. You want to work from the flange.
                        • I use a pipe nipple that goes over the urethane to protect it. The nipple's end sits flush on the flange (not on rubber) while the hollow inside touches nothing but it hugs the urethane.
                        • Back-up the control arm from the inside. If you have a wooden bench top or a 2x4 about waist high, place one end of the board on the ground and the top end under the arm's inside lip of the bushing you are installing. Then, pound the nipple and bushing in (down) from the outside. This sounds more difficult than it is. I use a vise to hold the 2x4 so it is vertical but still sitting on the ground. The nipple will stay where it is at because it hugs the urethane from the inside. If you need another hand, ask someone to help.
                        • Insert one side half-way, then the other side half way so you are sure the pivot shaft is going in correctly. Then proceed.
                        • When your bushing gets to the shoulder, stop. You will know when it gets there because insertion resistance increases.

Randy Harsha did his, for the first time ever, without any special tools, in his back yard. I don't use special tools either. You can wait for the tool you ordered but the results will be the same. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Eric S
                          Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Dave

what concerns me is that it's exactly what I did the first time !
                          The only thing is I continued to hammer it and used the wise to hold the shaft AFTER the bushing was on the shoulder and the shaft still loose.
                          I will make several measures on the new parts and arms when parts gets here and we'll see then.
                          Maybe Randy did not checked the inner shaft for fore and aft movement? Or I was unlucky...

Also as I said earlier considering the variations in parts dimensions and the lack of adjustment or tuning how can we make sure the parts will pile correctly?
                          Last edited by Eric S; November 10, 2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Eric S
                            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

New bushings from Larry's Thunderbird arrived today.
                            They are obviously made in a different area from India and are longer as much as I can tell from the outside comparing from the flange.
                            The urethane is black, shiny and seems to be harder than the other ones from Bird Nest.
                            I will have the old ones removed on the special tools I made while waiting for the parts and make more comparisons.
                            It "looks" like I might not be able to press them all the way to the shoulder but I will have to make more measures.

Question remains as to how much tight I want the inner shaft to be held between both inner sleeves?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

And, your new bushings are different from Rock Auto's offerings because?

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Eric S
                                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Pictures on dealer's web site are not always accurate and do not show the actual product sometime (Larry's TBird show no shoulder).
                                Now if you want to know the difference with those from Rock Autos, please feel free to send a set from them so I can study that and make a comparison as I don't intend to order all the bushings made on the planet

I will give those from Larry's a try for now. Hopefully a last try.
                                Last edited by Eric S; November 16, 2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎