Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric S
    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Sorry I did checked the manual and they do not talk about any play except 2x .060" on the spool.
    I have much more than that.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Did you check the play with the valve totally assembled. All your pictures show the valve taken apart. There's no way to tell what's normal if it's not together. Post a picture with the valve assembled and adjusted.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Eric S
        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

The only thing I did not installed is the small cover as it does not interfere with the parts.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's not what your pictures show. I can only go by what your pictures show me. The pictures you posted show a control valve that is disassembled. That doesn't help me or anyone else. If it didn't have any play when you took it off then it shouldn't have any play now. It can only be assembled one way. Did you take pictures when you took it apart for reference. It doesn't appear so since you had the seals on incorrectly. There's only so much we can do from a distance. We can't repair it for you.

John

Comment

• Eric S
            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I show it disassembled to show how it is assembled inside and the parts used.
            A pmicture of the assembled parts seems useless to me.
            I did made some pictures but obviously not enough.
            I did not checked for play before I disassembled it and it was so greasy I guess the play may not have been there.
            Now my question is simply to know if anybody have the same play on the sleeve. I know that most of you have the parts on the car and can not check that though.

Comment

• Eric S
              Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

John

you were right and you're the best.
              The end cap in aluminium that goes over the spring has a shoulder in it that take care of the play !

Thank you for your patience with me, stubborn rookie.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Eric,

We all make the same mistakes the first time around. That's why they call it experience. I hope you have better luck with the new seals than I've had recently. I rebuilt my last valve three times using the seals that I bought from the various T-Bird vendors. Each time it leaked after a couple of months. I finally got fed up and sent it out to be rebuilt. That lasted a couple of years until I sold the car.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                  Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Any Idea what you did wrong then? Do we have to use any compound to seal the valve?

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I didn't do anything wrong. I've rebuilt many valves over the years and never had an issue until recently. It just appears that the seals that the vendors sell are not as good as they were years ago just like everything else that's made these days. I can only assume that the person that rebuilt my valve (Stangerssite.com) has access to better quality seals.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I just noticed that the set up for power steering in the Ford TBird 1960 Shop Manual do not shows the idler arm I have on my car. It is shown however in the 1949-1959 Ford Car Parts !?

As for the steering gear, do we use oil or grease? The manual says lubricant. I would say oil considering the whole set up.
                      Edit : I just came across this thread http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2692
                      Last edited by Eric S; October 3, 2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Eric S
                        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Working on the manual looking for torque values in order to re assemble the steering assy.
                        On page 9-21 I can find the values.
                        However I have trouble identifying the parts.
                        Like :
                        Pitman Arm
                        Ball Stud lock nut
                        Spindle Connecting rod

Anybody ever made up a drawing with torque values for various bolts?

Comment

• p38fighter
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Oct 14 2016

Here's your pitman arm. Its on the bottom of the steering box.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• p38fighter
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Oct 14 2016

And I should have added that the ball stud passes thru the end of the pitman arm and is I believe held in place with a castle nut and cotter pin.

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As I've said numerous times. Please look in the manual.

John
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Eric S
                                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

My manual is falling apart but today I tried to work on too many different directions at the office appraently as I overlooked those pictures with names on it which I saw before (add bad memory).
                                By the way your copy seems much clear than mine.

I made a drawing where I hope I pointed the right values to the rights nuts.
                                However I still have the following which I can not locate :
                                Idler Arm to Bracket and Rod Nuts 50-60 FtLbs
                                Idler Arm Bushing to Idler Arm Rod Bolt 85-100 FtLbs
                                Idler Arm Bushing to Idler Arm Bracket Bolt 85-100 FtLbs

I would say the 1st one might be the nuts on top of Idler ARm (where I initially used 85-100 value on the drawing) but
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎